15. I Think He Knows

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

bella notte
act i , distant memories
chapter fifteen , i think he knows

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

        BELLE WINCED as she heard the click of the door shutting behind her

        BELLE WINCED as she heard the click of the door shutting behind her. A slow breath left her lips as her back pressed against the hard wood of the door.

        She had returned from the Granville's some time before him, having left him asleep in a guest room before fleeing the scene, wrapt in guilt and anxiety.

      Grace had met her at the servants entrance, remarking upon her distressed manner which the Grantham girl had hastily dismissed before bidding her lady's maid goodnight and retiring to her room, praying that good night's sleep would help ease her conscience.

         However, she had not been so fortunate.

        Every time she closed her eyes, she felt his fingers dancing on her skin, tangled in her hair, caressing her jaw...

       And every time she opened them she faced with the knowledge that such sensations were no longer figments of her imagination but instead true recollections.

       Belle could feel her breath hitch in her throat as they replayed in her mind, a small smile creeping onto her lips. Every kiss, every touch had been everything she had fantasised and more.

       Another sigh escaped her as a pang of guilt shot through her chest, causing her smile to drop. The fact it had been everything she longed for and more almost made it worse, because it would never happen again — she vowed as such.

       No matter how wonderful it had been, if the consequence each time was to be how she felt right then; plagued with regret and guilt, despairing in the knowledge that his kisses were not for her as hers had been for him, then she vowed there would be no reprise of their encounter.

       She was resolute about it. She had spent enough time mulling it over in her mind as she paced her room, having given up on her attempts at sleep.