13. An Affair of Honour

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

bella notte
act i , distant memories
chapter thirteen , an affair of honour

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

        "STEADY THERE!"

"STEADY THERE!"

       Belle fought back a chuckle as she called out to the Bridgerton matriarch, who was clutching onto Colin as she descended into a fit of chuckle, leaving her third eldest looking mildly humoured himself.

       It had only been a hour or so since Anthony and Daphne had departed the Trowbridge Ball, but after seeing the state of Viscountess — although it brought them much amusement — Belle and Colin had elected to make their return and get the woman in bed.

       Colin had assured Belle in the carriage ride that he hadn't foggiest of ideas as to why his mother had become so intoxicated, normally the Viscountess was exceptionally composed at such events. However, Belle was hardly interested in his speculations as she watched Violet Bridgerton gaze out the window gushing about the bright stars above them as they journeyed home.

       Belle had entered the household first so as to hold the door open for the stumbling pair, trying her best to muffle her chuckled so as not to wake disrupt Tyne peace and quiet if the household — however the Viscountess had other ideas.

       "I can assure you both there is nothing amiss!" Violet cried, causing Belle and Colin to shush her as they made their way towards the staircase. "I am hardly inebriated."

     "Of course not. You are clearly sober." Her son mused, earning a heart chuckle from Belle as they reached the bottom of the stairs and she shot the pair a pointed look.

      "And I'm sober enough to know when you're being impertinent." Violet let go of Colin's arm before her gaze softened and she laid a fond hand on both of their shoulders before ascending the staircase. "Good night, my dears."

      "Good night, Mother." Colin chuckled with a shake of his head.

      "Good night." Belle whispered, her smile never fading as she looked fondly after the lady.