05. A Night at the Opera

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

bella notte
act i , distant memories
chapter five , a night at the opera

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

        "I MUST THANK YOU ONCE more, Lady Danbury

"I MUST THANK YOU ONCE more, Lady Danbury." Belle grinned, addressing the older lady as they ascended the steps of the opera house up to the mezzanine.

"Nonsense, my girl. Your company is most welcome." Lady Danbury dismissed her thanks, "When your uncle divulged your affinity for the opera, I thought it only right to extend an invitation."

"Yes, I found it awfully good natured of him." Belle muttered slightly.

She knew that, in truth, her uncle's behest for her to attend the opera was no doubt to rid himself of her for a night.

As the recent days past, Belle found that tensions had been running quite high between herself and her uncle regarding the matter of the marriage mart. It seemed as though Leopold thought that Belle's initial defiance would have gradually declined the longer she sojourned in London - alas, he was mistaken.

Still, Belle was hardly complaining about the separation. She found that she too would appreciate a bit of distance, and attending the opera to do so seemed almost too much of a treat.

"He told me you were quite the expert." Lady Danbury continued as they navigated their way around other bustling members of the ton with polite smiles.

"Well, I wouldn't go as far as that." Belle shrugged, modestly.

She certainly had a passion for the arts although had never engaged in them herself. Of course, she sang within the confines of her family home in Italy, but she assured herself that she was far from expert.