death in the bedroom

(EDITED 14/09/22)

It had just past 2am and Nicole and Glen were laying in bed, cacooned in sheets, whilst listening miserably to the sounds of lovemaking coming from the next room.

Libby peaked and Tod howled. Then silence.

Glen turned over. "Morality sucks."

______

*libby's pov*

This was a slightly larger room than my own. It was spare in its appointments with the street lights throwing the narrow bed into broken shadow and light.

I lay silently in each Tod's arms, us both accompanied by the sound of our heavy breathing.

"I knew there was something about you I liked." I said, lowering my voice so Glen and Nicole could sleep.

Tod yawned into the pillows and I could tell he was happy. "You feel better now, right?"

"Jungle man fix Jane."

"No more fights?"

"No more fights."

"Good. No more nightmares for either of us then." He rolled over and pulled the covers over his head.

"When did you have a nightmare?" I asked.

He removed his head from under the covers, "Guys can have nightmares too, y'know. You ain't got a corner on the market or something."

He rolled back over, practically snoring, and pulled another cover over his head.

______

*nicole's pov*

*thump*

I woke up in a jolt as I heard something fall. I felt around on the top of the bed before finding the cross that usually sits hung above the bed.

I examined it for a bit before putting it next to me, then turning and changing my position so I could go to sleep again.

______

*libby's pov*

*tap*

I opened my eyes upon hearing what sounded like a pebble hit the window. After listening some more, I got back into my position to close my eyes again.

*tap*

My eyes open once again. I sat up slowly, tugging on Tod's shoulder. "Tod?" Snores echoed from his mouth.

I sat up. "Libby." A voice called. I put on a shirt and walked towards the window, the wind moving again; the trees brushing the window with their shadows. Then another pebble. *Tap*

I glanced out on an old yard with a patch of banana trees rattling in the Santa Ana winds. It seemed deserted, though the welling dark won't let me be sure. Then another pebble -- *Tap* -- hitting with a sharp rap focus.

I jumped back, startled but was drawn back to the glass out of curiosity, straining to see in the dark. It was as if the stones were materializing out of thin air.

*TAP!* This time a heavier stone, and a thin crack bristled across the glass.

"Libby." I took a bigger step back. "Who do you think you are? Whoever you are?"

______

*nicole's pov*

I could hear something pressing against the surface of the wall from the inside. The plaster bulging out as if suddenly elastic, taking the shape of the thing pressing from inside -- taking the shape of a man's face.