its over...or is it?

(EDITED 23/09/22)

Nicole jerks open the front door and blinks in the bright, diffused light. Birds were singing. Children were playing. Just the usual early morning sounds.

"God. It's bright." She says to no one in particular.

Marge sticks her head out squinting, and nods.  Sober. "It's gonna burn off soon, or it wouldn't be so bright."

Nicole turns and looks her mother over. "Feeling better?"

"Oh, I feel like a million bucks. They say you've bottomed out when you can't remember the night before. You know baby, I'm gonna stop drinking. I just don't feel like it anymore."

She touches Nicole's cheeks. "Did I keep you awake last night? You look a little peaked.

"No." Nicole smiles. "I guess I just slept funny."

"Okay. I'll see you."

She smiles at her mother. "See you."

A familiar convertible pulls up at the curb, top down. Libby and Tod are in the back seat. They all wave to Marge as Nicole climbs in. "Hi everybody."

"You believe this fog?" Glen calls out.

Marge laughs before replying. "Oh, I believe anything is possible."

Libby rests her hands on Nicole's shoulders. "Lookin' good, girl!"

The convertible's top clamps over the kids within -- a bright red and green top that closes as fast and hard as a beartrap. Nicole lets out a scream. "What happened." Before falling into a state of giggles.

"What's going on?" Tod asks as the windows and locks all started moving by themselves.

"Hey. Hey, I'm not doing this."

"Glen! let us out!" Nicole shouts.

He turns angrily to his girlfriend. "I'm not doing this!"

"What's going on with the window?" Tod shouts as Nicole glances to her window. It seems to be doing up all by itself.

She starts banging hectically on the window. Screaming for her mother. "No, Mother!"

Although Marge is stood on the porch smiling and waving at her daughter as if not realising what was happening.

"Mother! Mother! Mother!"

"What's going on?" Tod asks again, as the car drives off with Nicole still banging on the window.

The car passes by a group of little girls, half-hidden by the fog but playing jumping rope and singing gayly. "One two -- Freddy's coming for you. Three four -- Better lock your door. Five six -- Grab your Crucifix. Seven eight --Gonna stay up late. Nine ten -- Never sleep again."

THE END