another encounter

(EDITED 14/09/22)

I awoke the next morning, dressed in a pink sweater and some grey trousers.

Whilst walking down the stairs, I could hear muffled voices coming from the television, along with my mom pouring herself some Gin. "Police say the victim, 15-year-old Libby Douglas had quarrelled earlier with her boyfriend Tod Gates."

I neared the kitchen, the voices became clearer, "Gates is now the subject of a citywide manhunt. The murder weapon, a straight razor or similar sharp object, has not yet-"

I blinked as the television turned off, shaking my head and walking towards the door when my mother's voice rang out. "Where do you think you're going?"

I turned around to face her, my backpack in my hand. "School."

"Honey, you were tossing and turning all night last night. You have no business going to school today." She placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I've gotta go to school mother, otherwise I'll sit up there and go crazy."

She gave me a look, "Did you sleep?" before brushing my hair out of my face.

"I'll sleep in study hall. I'd rather...keep busy y'know?" I pressed, bringing a cup of coffee to my lips.

She carefully took the cup away from my mouth, "Right home after?"

"Right home after." I replied.

"Okay." She sighed.

I gave my mom a kiss on the cheek. "See you."

"See you" she replied as I made my way to the door.

______

I walked alone down a sidewalk, edged with thick flowering Oleander. I cocked my head, puzzled, as if sensing something. I looked across the street.

On the other side of the street a man stood in dark clothes, reading a newspaper, but he was really watching me. I shrugged and continued on, then stopping and looking back again. The man had gone.     

In the next moment, a bloodied hand jumped out from the opposite direction, hand clamped over my mouth, dragging me into the bushes.

I struggled, twisting against the powerful assailant. Turning my head, I noticed Tod, bare-foot, dressed only in jeans and a leather jacket, still caked with dark blood. The rest of his skin was as pale as a ghost's.

"I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm not gonna hurt you."

He released me warily. I made no move to run or scream, even though several students passed on the nearby sidewalk. I could tell it reassured Tod just a little.

"They're gonna kill me for sure."

"Nobody's gonna kill you."

We sat there studying each other until he broke eye contact by looking away.

"Did you do it?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I never touched her."

"You were screaming like crazy." I replied, saying this without accusation and with just cool observation.

He clenched his jaw, "There was somebody else there."

"The door was locked from your side."

His muscular body tensed, "Don't look at me like I'm some fucking fruitcake or something. I'm warning you."

"Just move away from her, son."

The boy jerked around. I looked up and noticed my father easing out of the bushes.