A stressful week

It has been an hour since Mick's last media commitment and for some reason, Guenther has decided to treat the entire team. Even Yuri has left his work in the garage. To be honest I'm just glad that only one Haas car finished last. I am quick to notice that Mick seems to be hanging close to me. It's as if he wants to get to know me a little better. He has the whole season to get to know me. For some reason, I don't really feel too comfortable with the idea or it could be the way that Nikita is staring at me. Who knows? I couldn't tell you. I shrug the idea away. There is not much that I can do.

"Are you alright Morgan?" Mick whispers, pulling me back to earth.

"Yeah. I'm alright. Just thinking," I explain. I am not going to tell him what I am thinking about. I can feel my cheeks begin to glow. Oh no. Hopefully, no one notices my embarrassment. After what feels like forever I have made it to the hotel. Don't worry I wasn't alone. Mick insisted. It turns out Mick is genuinely interested in me as a person. It makes sense as there was a rumour that his father knew every mechanic by name. For the brief time that I've known Mick that is what I'd say he's doing. It has been a few days since then and I am back at the team's HQ in England. I am currently trying to make sure that the cars are good for the next race in Imola.

"Morgan, do you think you would be able to train a backup pit crew?" Guenther thinks out loud. The thing is if I did I'd have to use both Yuri's and my crew as a backup pit crew.

"I'll give it a go but a few days may not be long enough," I say. I remember the length it took for me to get qualified as a pit crew member. Let's just say it took me a while to get to where I was now. I find myself impressed at the level of trust that both Guenther and Gene are putting in me. Plus Guenther is not the kind of person that you say no to anyway.

"Just so long as you do your best," Guenther responds. At least he is satisfied with my response. At least I know that I can trust my abilities.

"That's all I can do," I respond. Well, I do have a week before the team leaves for Imola.

"Don't forget to ask for help if you need it," Guenther decides to be nice for some reason. I put it down to the fact that I was a part of the team that helped Mick. I shrug it off because if the boss is happy I should be happy.

"Of course not," I responded. I try my best to be optimistic. It has been a week since then and as I thought I have not gotten the backup pit crew ready in time. Not that it's too much of a big deal. The good thing about today is the fact that it is Wednesday which means the logistics team is taking care of everything. Right now I am debating whether or not I should head to the track or go exploring. I find myself heading to the lobby. The thing is I have made up my mind on what I am going to do. I am going to grab something to eat from one of the many local cafes and then go to the track. I only want to go to the track today as I want to see if I can be of any use to the logistics team. I doubt it but you never know unless you ask. If I am not needed I will be exploring the areas around the track.

"Morgan, where are you off to?" a familiar voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Well, I was going to grab something to eat and then head to the track. I was going to see if I was needed then if not I was going to explore," I explained. It looks like he has had similar thoughts. To be honest it would be nice to have some company.

"Do you mind if I join you?" Mick asks sheepishly. A thought crosses my mind which I immediately dismiss. That is impossible. We've only known each other for a month.

"I don't mind," I replied. The thing is I should enjoy my time with Mick before the stress of work makes me a grumpy hag. Hopefully Mick doesn't pick up on my bother. To be honest I am not even sure if I am good at hiding my emotions. We soon left the hotel. After a ten minute walk, Mick and I made it to a nice cafe. I am quick to notice other team personnel. It doesn't take long for us to get our food.

"Hey Morgan, are you ok?" Mick speaks up as we make our way to the track.

"What do you mean?" I tentatively ask. I do get the feeling that he is going to ask whether or not I am stressed. To be honest I think Mick cares too much. After all, I am just his lead mechanic. Nothing else.

"You seem stressed," Mick confirms my feeling.

"It's just the adjustment period of being promoted. Guenther has given me a lot of work. I'll be fine in a few races," I responded. Like Guenther said I can ask for help if I need to. It's just a matter of who I would ask. Knowing Mick he will probably offer to help anyway.

"Well, you know who to ask," Mick responds, getting a giggle from me. Thankfully it doesn't take us long to get our respective sandwiches. After a ten minute walk, we made it to Aryton Senna's memorial. I notice that the look on Mick's face has grown more subdued. It is as if he has just realised what a return to Imola meant for Formula 1. Mick and I polish off our sandwiches in silence. For some reason I find myself staring at Mick out of the corner of my eye as we head towards the paddock. Something tells me that he is also staring at me for some reason.

"You know staring is rude," Mick remarks, causing my cheeks to go red. How on earth did he know? It shouldn't have been that obvious. Unless... Nah that can't be right. I shake the thought off. There is no way on earth that he thinks I'm cute.

"Sorry," I mumble. As soon as I apologise Mick breaks into a laugh. The goose. I roll my eyes as a smile crosses my face.

"You goose," I say, giving him a playful shove. It feels weird to me that we are already good friends but that's what you get for travelling with someone for hours. We soon made it to the Haas garage. Like the rest of the garage, it is a hive of activity.

"Hey, Guenther do you need my help with anything?" I ask as I join Guenther. He is watching over some of the logistics team.

"Not at the moment. The logistics team has everything under control at the moment," Guenther responded. Well that makes things easier for me. That means I will have time to explore a little more before the weekend ramps up. Maybe I could ask Mick to join me if he wants to. It will be a good chance to relax as well.