A trail ride

It has been a couple of mediocre races since then and the long-awaited summer break has arrived. That means I can finally relax properly. Right now I am making sure that I am ready for the long-awaited trail ride with Ginna and Corinna. Luckily for me, Corinna was able to lend me some of her gear. There is an added bonus. Ginna was able to convince Mick to join us. Speaking of Mick he is quick to join me. He is using some of his father's old gear. I find myself giggling at the thought.

"I know what you're thinking, Morgan. I have not ridden for a while," Mick announces. Cutting my giggle short.

"Well, at least you've ridden before. This is my first time," I retort. Even though it is my first time, I am going to try and enjoy it. It will be a nice change from the all-hands-on-deck situation that I am going to face when the summer break is over. With that, we give everything a once over. With that done we join Corinna in the stables.

"Since you haven't ridden yet Morgan I'm going to take you through some basics," Corinna remarks as she leads a beautiful horse out of the stable for me.

"Thank you," I replied. The good thing is Corinna is quick and precise at explaining the basics. With that over and done with I pull myself onto the horse's back. The thing is I am a little clumsy. Not that it matters too much. I am quick to hear a chuckle. There is only one person that would laugh at the awkwardness of the situation.

"Oh come on Mick. I may be able to tame the car but right now I'm doing something I've never done before. Plus the horse has a mind of its own," I counter before releasing a giggle myself. At least I have the chance to enjoy myself before the one race that I am not looking forward to. I find myself running my hand through the horse's mane while Mick and I wait for the others. The horse seems content waiting. For some reason, my thoughts turn to the few remaining races of the season.

"I think we are ready," Mick breaks me out of my thoughts as Corinna and Gina join us.

"Ok let's see what I can do," I timidly remarked.

"I'll lead," Corinna adds. It doesn't take long for us to get going. I find the sudden movement from the horse a little jarring. The good thing is I am quick to adjust to the fact that I can somewhat control the horse. All I can think of is the fact that Mick will have more material to tease me with. Not that I mind. After all, there is nothing that I can do about it.

"You seem comfortable already," As if on cue Mick breaks through the silence.

"Well your mum gave good instructions but it is still harder than working on the car," I retort. Just as I do I have to wrestle the horse back onto the right path. Even though I am not the best at controlling the horse, I am having fun. It is something different. My response seems to get a smile from Mick. After two hours of riding, we made it to a nice clearing. It is there that we dismount. Gina is quick to make sure that the horses are securely tied to some nearby trees so that they don't escape.

"I made sandwiches but I wasn't sure what anybody wanted," Corinna pulled the food from her backpack.

"I don't think it matters much, Mum," Mick replies. We each grab our respective sandwiches as we sit down. I find myself leaning on Mick's shoulder. For some reason, my mind drifts to what has happened in the first half of the season. Work may be a pain in the arse however something beautiful came out of it. I met Mick. My thoughts soon run wild with the idea of how lucky I have been despite the adversity.