A confrontation (Mick)

A\N This chapter does contain Mick being out of character. Just a heads up just in case you are caught off guard by the way that I have written the chapter.

It has been a couple of days since Morgan and I went out and we are currently walking through the paddock on our way to the garage. As per usual the paddock is busy. I find myself instinctively reaching out for Morgan's hand. The first thing I notice as Morgan takes my hand is the fact that some curious VIPs are staring. I wish they weren't but I realise that they would be curious and there is nothing that I can do about it. After a five minute brisk walk, we made it to the garage where Morgan and I part ways for the moment. I head to my small driver's room where I quickly get some things organised for FP1. After a few minutes of gathering some things, I exchange my normal clothes for my race suit. With all that stuff done I head to the garage where I am met by Morgan. She offers her hand to help me into the car. It is something about this little routine that makes the idea of what I am about to endure a little more bearable. With her help, it doesn't take long for me to get comfortable in the car.

"Radio check?" The voice of my lead engineer comes over the radio.

"Loud and clear," I give my standard response. After a second long pause, Morgan gives me the go-ahead to start the first free practice session. Ok, this is the one race that I know for a fact that I can't screw up. I get to work on getting the car around the track. I wince at how close I get to the wall on some of the corners. After thirty minutes of relative calm disaster strikes. I get around turn one to find Nikita in the wall. Despite my best efforts, I feel the front left tire contact the back left tire of Nikita's car. Honestly, there was not enough room for me to manoeuvre around Nikita's wreck of a car anyway.

"Sorry guys," I apologise over the radio.

"It's alright Mick. I should have warned you," my lead engineer responds. The truth is there is one person that I can get mad at and even then it was a combination of factors that brought us to this situation. I just need to trust in the fact that Morgan and her team can get the job done. After what feels like an eternity I am able to leave the car. I glance over my shoulder at Nikita who is staring daggers at me. I don't know why when it is his fault. I guess I will have to talk to him later. That is if he wants to talk. It has been ten minutes since the incident and I am currently watching over Morgan and her team. I am hoping that her team can get the car ready for at least FP3. It is not looking likely as the damage was worse than we thought. This is odd because the car was going relatively slow.

"Mick, you should find a spot to relax," Morgan remarks as she gets to work on finding one of her tools.

"I'm happy watching or helping. If you would let me," I responded. The thing is I know I am capable of helping. Plus it would put less pressure on Morgan to rush. I move out of the way as Morgan moves towards the spot where I am standing.

"Look Mick I promise that I have this under control," Morgan tries to reassure me. I'm not entirely convinced but I know that I can trust Morgan. It has been a couple of days since then. Honestly, there was not much that can be said about qualifying other than the fact that it revealed more issues with the car. It was something I was expecting. I'm just glad that there wasn't much in the way of drama for me. However, there was one thing that changed. Nikita managed to outqualify me for once. I personally reckon that his lead over me won't last long. Oh well, whatever happens, happens. At this point, I just want to get through the season with minimal drama. Right now I am relaxing in the hospitality suite. To my surprise, the only people that are there are Dmitry and a couple of his guests. I have chosen to ignore them as they give me a nasty feeling. As if Nikita has convinced them that I am poison. I am soon pulled out of my thoughts by Guenther and Morgan. Both of them look concerned.