A small victory

It has been a couple of days since the team arrived in Baku and today is the day that will show us if the repairs have been successful or not. I hope for Mick's sake that there are no more issues. Speaking of the devil I notice a friendly presence which can only mean one thing. I look up from my work to find Mick watching over me. He looks equal parts concerned and excited. In all fairness, none of us has anything to worry about this weekend as we don't have Dmitry breathing down our necks. Even Yuri was feeling optimistic about the weekend.

"Mick, I'd push the car now just so we can see if the repairs were successful," I give my last piece of advice as he gets the last little bit of his gear organised.

"What about FP2?" Mick checks. I find myself rolling my eyes. Of course, he would be planning ahead."It depends on how hard you push now," I say as I get to work on helping Mick into the car. At least Mick seems a little more relaxed. I put it down to the fact that his week has been relatively quiet. After a thumbs up from Mick I give him the standard gesture to send him off. It doesn't take long for me to take my standard seat on the pit wall. As the session goes on I am starting to feel a little on edge. Even though the data shows that there is nothing wrong with the car I feel like there is something off. I chose to ignore the feeling as there is not much that I can do right now. I just need to trust Mick. He will have everything under control. Even then it is all relative. I just can't seem to shake the feeling that something is going to go wrong.

"Morgan are you alright?" Yuri checks on me.

"I can't seem to shake the feeling that something is going to go wrong," I explain.

"If you mention it to Cal he'll jinx it," Yuri is of course referring to Mick's lead engineer. It's not like he can do anything about it either.

"I was only mentioning it to you because you asked," I replied. There was no way that I was going to mention it to anyone else for one reason. There is nothing in the data to suggest that there is anything wrong with the car. After fifteen more minutes, the first free practice session has come to an end. Despite the fact that I had a bad feeling about the session nothing went wrong. In fact, I would go as far as to say it was almost too perfect. I shouldn't really be complaining about it since we gathered most of the required data. I am about to get to work on making some changes but I am stopped.

"Morgan the car performed well. There is nothing that needs to be changed," Mick gives me his report. I know he means as well as the Haas car can perform. Not that it matters.

"Thank you for letting me know. Oh before I forget that means you can push the car in FP2 without worrying about anything," I responded. After a few more hours of work, the time has come for us all to leave. Despite the fact that I still haven't shaken the bad feeling I've had a bit of a relaxing Friday. I quickly finished re-organising my tools. Now for the hard part. Finding Mick. After five minutes of looking, I've found Mick. He is with Sebastian Vettel. I am not surprised. After all, Sebastian is acting as Mick's mentor. Mick locks his gaze to mine as he excuses himself.

"Mick, are you ready to go?" I ask to make sure that I have his attention.

"It depends on you," Mick replies with a grin on his face.

"Let's go then," I say as I grab Mick's hand. I can feel the stairs from Sebastian and his crew. I think at this point our relationship is an open secret. I am honestly surprised that I haven't seen anything in the press, not that I've been looking. It is the day after the first two practice sessions. Right now I am making sure that the car is ready to go for qualifying. The mood in the garage is tense. I can feel it oozing from the three lots of mechanics. It doesn't take long for the green light to signify the start of the first round of qualifying. I send Mick out as quickly as possible. I joined Yuri on the pit wall. My eyes are glued to the timesheet as the time ticks down to the end of Q1. All of the usual suspects are in the top ten however something has caught my eye. Mick's driver abbreviation MSC is twelfth on the timesheet. That means he has the chance to get into Q2 if he can hold the position.