The Speed of Change

The Speed of Change

The first week of school was the most difficult. Everyone worried or asked him if he was okay, saying things like they were sorry or what they could do to help him. It was just a broken leg! Finally, Aang came up with a solution to that little problem.

"There is one thing you guys can do," he had said. Everyone looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to tell them how they could ease his pain. He pulled a marker from his pocket and put on his saddest face. "My cast is naked. Can you help me fix that?"

That was when his classmates' and teammates' smiles returned and they laughed. There was no sense wishing away something that had already happened. It was best to just deal with everything in stride. That was easy enough to say and think, but once the letter from the school dean came, it was a whole other story. Aang had picked the letter up from his dorm one day before class. The insignia on the envelope was more than enough to tell him what the letter was about. The school dean was calling his scholarship up for review because of his injury. He did not tell his friends about it. There was no reason to worry them if it turned out to be nothing, right?

Gyatso had waited patiently for Aang each day after school. Aang had thought that once class was back in session he would be returning to the dormitory, but the Bei Fongs had insisted that he and Gyatso stayed with them until his leg had healed. Aang showed Gyatso the letter, and the two of them took it into their room. The sheer size of it still surprised Aang. Even though he and Gyatso each had their own bed, there was more than enough room for the both of them to be comfortable. It was better than a five star hotel.

"You know what this is about, don't you?" Gyatso asked.

"Yes," Aang answered, pacing the length of the room. More than once his crutch banged against the dresser across from his bed.

"Do you wish to sit down before I open it?"

"No."

Gyatso shook his head before tearing the seal from the envelope. His eyes glanced over the paper, and as he read his age became more apparent on his face. The news was clearly not good.

"You were right, young one," he said. "This is a summons to review your scholarship."

"When?"

"Early next month." Gyatso sat the letter down on the bed. "I believe it may be time to discuss what we are going to do if you can not retain your scholarship."

"It's too early for that, Gyatso," Aang said. "I know there's gotta be a way for me to keep it!"

"Aang, I simply wish-"

"We'll talk about it later, okay?"

Aang left the room before Gyatso could protest. He did not want to just give up on his scholarship so easily. He worked so hard to get back here. He worked so hard to get back to her. He was not going to let it all slip away just like that. He was not going to let it go. The only problem was: what could he do about it? At this point he could not do anything at all. He would just have to wait until his meeting with the school deans.

What am I gonna tell Toph?

Aang's first thought was to tell Toph nothing. He still did not know anything for sure, so why give her this to deal with? Then again, the last time he did not tell her something that he should have, it did not turn out so well. Perhaps he should learn from his mistake. Besides, she really deserved to know, and he did not like the idea of bottling up all of his worries again.

Out in the garden Toph was busying herself with the feel of the freshly grown springtime grass beneath her feet and hands. Ty Lee had come over for a visit and was occupying herself with Toph's hair and chatted away. At first, Aang did not want to intrude, but Toph had other ideas.