Being There

Being There

Aang sat shivering on the track as he stretched out his legs. Even he recognized the idiocy of holding a track meet so late in September, but if he were to say that to his coach, he'd never hear the end of it. Couldn't they at least do it indoors? And why did he have to be here so early anyway? His actual race wasn't until the afternoon. He wanted to be at Toph's tournament back at the school.

"Now remember, Aang," Katara said. "My brother will be by to pick you up after your race. I'm sorry we can't stay, but Zuko has to be there and I promised I'd watch his match."

"It's okay, Katara," Aang had smiled. "But how am I gonna recognize your brother?"

"Don't worry. Sokka's hard to miss."

"Okay. Thanks again for the ride!"

"Don't worry about it!" Katara replied as she hugged him. "Good luck!"

Aang found his mind racing as he wondered how Katara could be so sure he would recognize Sokka. She had often told him that Sokka was a genius, however off he might seem, but that didn't say anything about what he looked like. A gesture from the coach brought Aang back to the track.

"Time to help the others warm up," Aang said to himself.

Toph sat in the backseat of the car utterly bewildered by what had transpired earlier that morning. Her parents, not Kuzon, but her parents had decided to driver her to her tournament. They actually wanted to be there to see her fight! Well, more likely to find reasons for her not to fight, but still.

"Are you guys sure you wanna do this?" Toph asked as she felt the car park. "I mean, don't you hate this kinda stuff, Dad?"

"If it is something that my daughter is so interested in that she do it regardless of my opinion, then I may as well see for myself what is so exhilarating about it," Lao Bei Fong answered.

"Now, Toph, you know that your father and I are just concerned for your safety," Huiliang Bei Fong said gently. She looked over the back of her chair to see her daughter's blind eyes staring out the window as her small hands sat on her knees and her bare feet curled up in the seat. Huiliang smiled and let out a light laugh.

"What?" Toph asked.

"I have something for you," her mother answered teasingly. She reached into the back of the car and placed a folded garment in her daughter's hands. "I would very much like for you to wear this during your fight."

"It's a tournament, Mom," Toph sighed. "Not a fashion show."

"But I made it especially for you," her mother said with a soft sob in her voice. Toph knew she was faking. She always faked to try and get her to do things. But what was the harm? So long as it wasn't a dress.

"Fine," Toph mumbled. "But if it has frills, it's gone!"

Once inside the school gym, Huiliang waited eagerly for her daughter to enter in her new outfit. Qiang and Rou bowed and greeted the Bei Fongs respectably as Toph made her entrance. She was clad in an emerald green gi with gold trim and a black sash rapped around her waist. Her hair was tied back in a long, flowing ponytail. The crowning features, however, were the two golden insignias. The first was a small patch sew delicately above her right breast that represented her school. The second was much larger, covering the entirety of her back, stamping her with the proud and strong mark of the Hun Gar style.

Aang lazed about the side of the track as he watched the other students begin their warm ups. His race was next, but what was the point in stretching more? His mind was on more important things. How was Toph doing? Had she already won the tournament? Was she waiting for him to get there? And again, why in the world were they holding a track meet in September?