The Tales of Thanksgiving, Part I

The Tale of Katara

"Stop your squirming," Suki ordered as she painted Katara's eyelids.

"Suki, I can do this myself."

"You want to look perfect for your date, don't you?" Suki asked. "This is what I do, so let me do it."

Suki had been helping Katara to prepare for Zuko's arrival ever since she got to their house. Suki had dragged her straight into her room where she aided Katara in finding the perfect dress, the perfect shoes, the perfect hairstyle, and more. Sokka and their father Hakoda meanwhile were in the kitchen doing the job Katara had thought was meant for her: preparing the turkey for dinner.

"There! All done," Suki said triumphantly. "Take a look at yourself!"

Suki pushed Katara in front of the full size mirror hanging on her wall. Katara barely recognized herself at first. The black, shimmering dress that Suki had loaned her fit snuggly on her body. The four thin spaghetti straps that held it in place laid gracefully on her shoulders and though it split halfway down her right thigh, it was still tasteful and classy. The black high heels that Suki had found wrapped delicately around her toes and feet in an intricate pattern. Her hair fell loosely down her back without its usual tie and loopies to hold it up. Suki had done an exemplary job with her makeup too. The light blue eyeshadow brought to light the depth of her blue eyes wonderfully and the red lipstick wasn't too bad either.

"Let's see Zuko pass that up," Suki said, smiling at Katara's reflection. As Katara continued to examine herself, a knock resounded from the door.

"Katara," Sokka's voice came. "Zuko's here."

"Good luck," Suki grinned as Katara opened the door.

As she made her way down the hall towards Sokka and Suki's living room, Katara could hear her father's voice. It was low and subtle, but she knew he was probably giving Zuko the "she's my little girl" talk. As she entered, Katara took advantage of Zuko's unawareness of her presence and looked him over. He was clad in a deep crimson button down shirt that fit him quite nicely. A pair of black slacks were held in place by a belt just as black with a small golden buckle. She shook her head slightly when she noticed his hair falling down over his face on the left side. He was trying to keep his scar as covered as possible.

"Hi, Zuko," Katara greeted. His reaction was priceless. His good eye widened and his mouth fell open slightly at just the sight of her. He opened more it to say something, but closed it again and swallowed. A very satisfying response, Katara thought.

Hakoda walked over to Katara and took her hand, leading her back over to the doorway before helping her put on her coat while Zuko pulled his back on as well. Taking her hand once again, Hakoda offered it to Zuko who held it with a gentle kind of strength.

"Remember what I said," he told Zuko in a fatherly voice. "I'm trusting you."

"Yes, sir," Zuko replied, respectively looking Hakoda in the eyes rather than at his daughter.

Once outside and safely out of earshot, Katara turned to her date and smiled.

"So what did my dad say to you?"

"Not much," Zuko shrugged. "Just that he knows where I live and that his son has access to some very dangerous things."

Katara let out a laugh as she snaked her arm around Zuko's and leaned into him. Zuko smiled contentedly as he escorted her down the street. Now any normal person would have arranged a ride to lunch, but knowing how much Katara enjoyed the cold weather and snow Zuko did not. Sure he wanted to shake and shiver with the unbearable cold that was all around him, but with Katara clinging to him as she was he did not mind as much. The rest of their walk passed in a mostly comfortable silence.