Endings and Beginnings

Aang sat on the icy cold snow and watched with a smile on his face as Sokka cleared a plot of grass. Everyone was eagerly awaiting the start of what Sokka had decided to name "The Great Fireworks Show." Even Azula's curiosity had been aroused when he said it would be a display that would put all others to shame.

"Best way to start a new year is with a bang!" Sokka had told them. Suki was just smiling and shaking her head at this point.

"Don't worry," she had said. "I'll have the first aid kit with me."

And so here they all were, waiting in the cold night air, bundled up in jackets and coats, waiting for him to get started. Well, not everyone.

"Has anyone seen Toph yet?" Katara asked just as she had two minutes ago.

"She'll be here," Aang said. "Don't worry so much. Besides, it's still early."

"She shouldn't be too much longer," Ty Lee said.

"Do you know where she is then?" Katara asked. Ty Lee shrugged.

"I don't have a clue," Aang said. "That doesn't mean she's not coming though."

Aang turned his attention back to Sokka who was now being lectured by Azula about his fireworks.

"If you pack them like that, they won't get enough altitude before they go off," Azula was saying. "You're going to blow yourself up."

"I appreciate that you're trying to help, but I do know what I'm doing," Sokka said.

"So you intend for the fireworks to blow up in your face?"

"They aren't going to blow up in my face!" Sokka yelled. "Why don't you go and annoy your brother?"

"Fine!" Azula growled. "Don't come whining to me when your girlfriend is wrapping you up like a mummy."

Aang chuckled quietly to himself as he began to wonder just where Toph was. He was sure that she'd be there in time for the show, but he could not help but be a little curious as to what was keeping her.

Maybe she's working out and lost track of time? No. Arguing with her dad? Likely, but probably not keeping her. Her house was getting robbed and now she's under arrest for assaulting the burglar?

"Yeah, there's a winner," Aang laughed out loud.

"What's a winner?"

Aang rounded in his seat on the ground to see someone coming towards him. Through the darkness he could just barely make out Toph's silhouette, followed closely by Kuzon. He smiled as he patted the ground next to him and waited for her to join him.

"Nothing," he told her. "We were just wondering what was taking so long."

"Went to Dad's New Year's party," she explained. "He gets his business partners together to talk about where they wanna take the business over the next year, and they start making plans."

"Oh yeah," Ty Lee grinned. "I didn't think you'd still be there this late!"

"Now when you say you went, you mean he made you, right?" Katara asked.

"Actually, he asked me if I wanted to this year. I figured he let us have a party and he invited me rather than ordered, so I'd give it a shot." Toph smiled in the darkness. "Besides, I wouldn't want to break tradition."

"And what tradition would that be?" Zuko asked as he joined the conversation.

"They have a pool on how long it'll take before I ditch the party."

The sounds of laughter from the group enticed Azula into walking their way. She stood over the other four and waited for them to notice her. When they did not acknowledge her presence, she cleared her throat loudly.