Two Gusts of Wind

Two Gusts of Wind

For once it was not Toph tapping her foot at the breakfast table, it was Aang. His fingers were drumming as well. His breakfast sat on his plate untouched while he kept glancing at the clock on the cafeteria wall.

"One day of rest and now he's restless," Zuko said. "Why can't you pick a happy middle?"

"Sorry," Aang replied. "I'm just nervous. This is gonna an important meet."

"You need to eat something," Katara said as she sipped her milk. "Why is this one so important?"

"I can't. Coach has been telling me all about the guy I'm supposed to be racing. He's a first year, just like me, and he's also the star of his team."

"So you've got some competition for once," Toph remarked. "Is that a problem?"

"No," Aang answered as he began to bounce in his seat. "I'm just really excited! My stomach's been doing flip flops all morning!"

"Flip a flap in it, or I'll flop you," Zuko said as he pushed Aang's plate at him.

Classes were not as difficult for Aang as usual with the help of Suki's advice. He managed to keep focused on the majority of the lessons without his mind wandering off too often. But it did still wander. Mostly to the track field and his opponent. Other than the fact that he was a first year as well, Aang didn't know anything about the guy. He didn't even know his name. He just couldn't wait to meet this guy!

By the time lunch finally arrived, Aang's stomach was torn between flip flops and food. The grumbling ached for sustenance, but the rolling and gurgling begged him not to. The pungent aroma of savory morsels coming from the school cafeteria beckoned him as he opened the door. The sweet scents tantalized his taste buds as he followed his nose to the gang's usual table near the back corner of the room. As he neared the round table, his stomach churned as his mouth salivated at the food lying there.

"If you drool on me again, I swear you'll be eating the rest of your meals through a straw," Zuko warned as Aang hovered over him. Toph got up from her seat and forced Aang down into his, then she pushed her own plate in front of him.

"Eat or I'll shove it down your throat," she ordered. Aang looked at the bean burritos and chips now before him.

"I guess a little will be alright," Aang said. "Right stomach?"

Five burritos, four single bags of chips, and two sodas later Aang let out a content sigh as he patted his full stomach. Zuko's eye twitched in disgust at the empty plates that rested on the table as Katara piled them up.

"Geez, Twinkle Toes," Toph laughed. "I thought you were too excited to eat."

"I haven't eaten anything since breakfast yesterday," Aang grinned. "Guess the hunger just got to me!"

As happy as he was during lunch, Aang soon regretted the feeding frenzy. The churning in his stomach was bad enough earlier, now there was food swirling along with it. Every few minutes he was requesting to go to the bathroom where he would stand in front of the seat and wait to see which way the burritos were going. Unfortunately, the food never came out.

The walk to the track was not a pleasant one after class. More than once Aang had to stop and balance himself to make sure he did fall over. Running was looking more and more difficult. About halfway to the track Aang was glad to hear Toph calling for him.

"What's up Twinkle Toes?" she asked. "Don't you have a race to win?"

"Little trouble," Aang answered. "Can I get a hand?"

Toph clapped a few times and smiled.

"Good enough?"

"Ha ha," Aang replied. "Seriously, give me some help."