Reconciliation

Reconciliation

Aang stared out his dorm window at the sky. How could the day be so beautiful when he felt so miserable? His mood was so poor it actually took a self motivating smack in the head just to walk across the street to the school. He had not seen or heard from Toph since the Halloween party three days ago. When she told him she didn't need him.

"She was just upset," he told himself only half believing it. Maybe breakfast would help him feel a little better. Not that it helped the last two days, but Zuko and Katara were worried enough about Toph's disappearing act without him doing it too.

Katara was playing with her sausage patties and Zuko was stabbing a straw into his juice when Aang joined them at the breakfast table. He still did not understand how Katara could eat those things. He took his seat and stared over at the empty one beside him.

"No word," Zuko said.

"We should go and see her," Katara suggested. "We can meet up after Aang's practice."

"You guys go ahead without me," Aang replied. "Mr. Bei Fong hates me and Toph doesn't need me anyway."

"Stop your moping," Zuko said. "Everyone gets upset. Just get over it."

"I think what Zuko is trying to say," Katara began as she eyed Zuko dangerously, "is that Toph didn't mean what she said."

"It's okay, guys. Really."

Aang dragged himself off of his chair and trudged out of the cafeteria.

"That boy needs a swift kick right in the-"

"Zuko, you're not helping."

Aang could barely even hear what his instructors were saying. He wanted to pay attention to them, but he just couldn't bring himself to actually focus on anything. Well, there was one thing, but it was what was causing the problem to begin with.

I don't need you!

The words still beat and echoed inside Aang's head. Their piercing edge had not dulled at all in the last few days, and it was beginning to drive him crazy. He leaned up against the lockers of the hallway and tried to organize his thoughts. Where was he going anyway? What class period was next?

"Look, there he is over there," someone said.

Aang was not entirely sure what was going on, but things cleared up quickly when he felt two strong hands pull him off of the lockers.

"Why hasn't she been to school? What's wrong with Toph?" a familiar voice growled.

"Brother, let him go!"

"No! I know he knows what's wrong with her and he's gonna tell me!"

"I don't know," Aang answered the angry third year. "I haven't seen her."

"You're lying!"

"Qiang, release him right now!" Rou said as he pulled his brother away from Aang. "I am sorry, Aang. If you hear anything, please let us know?"

Aang nodded his response. He never entertained the thought that it was Qiang's fault. The way he was feeling, he probably wouldn't have minded at all if Rou had let Qiang beat him senseless. It wasn't like he was going to find out how Toph was doing anyway. She didn't want to talk to him.

I don't need you!

The last few hours of class were another bleak eternity for Aang. More than once he embarrassed himself when called upon to answer a question or comment on the subject matter of the day. He didn't care. The only thing he cared about was making sure Toph was okay.