Eighteen: A Lifetime Ago of Memories

(A/N: Picture above: Hoshino Rukako.)

***

While I finished and resolved the actual 'argument', cleaning up after the aftermath was another thing.

For one, I had to deal with my brother's pouty face and my friends' worried ones. I worried my brother when I jumped off that balcony and he showed his displeasure by skulking which was more troublesome than it sounds. Homura got reminded and chopped me on the head for it. Ryuugamine, for some absurd reason, took his cellphone and ordered, whoever on the other line was, to purchase cushions and place it under every tree in the campus. I barely managed to snatch his cellphone and politely cancel the order. And then I had to talk the mini-emperor out of it. Seriously, this guy... Then Kisaragi guilt-tripped me into promising never to do it again by pitifully admitting that 'I scared him half to death' along with saddened puppy eyes that I felt truly guilty for and very, very unable to say no.

Two, I wasn't really as unharmed as I thought which just made the others' reaction to my impulsive stunt even worse. I was totally focused on stopping Miyamura that I hadn't thought much about myself. I had gashes and some bruises on my hands from when I grabbed the tree branch. I even had a small, thin wound on my cheek. It's very shallow though. The kind that you won't probably notice till it's pointed out and Kirihara probably noticed it first. I must have gotten it from some sharp leaf or twig. Akina's skin and body was very delicate compared to the tough and athletic Rukako. And I was really an idiot for thinking I'd be able to do half of the things my second life Rukako could do in my original body. Their constitution and inborn physical traits were just too different. Rukako's body was a body that could endure a hard life of manual labor. I should know. I worked in a supermarket and being a girl never saved me from carrying boxes of merchandise. It's strong, tough and athletic. Akina's body, meanwhile, was too delicate for anything but a sheltered life. It's a body that never lifted a finger for labor. The maids existed for a reason. During my first life, I never once lifted a broom let alone use it.

Anyway, I had to go to the infirmary to get everything treated together with everyone. The looks that the nurse gave when I reluctantly told her what happened... Yup, lesson learned. Not doing that kind of stunt anytime soon. It's more trouble than its worth. Really more trouble than it's worth.

Three, since a lot people were involved and all of the Regalia of Prestige in my grade were involved, it was brought to the school director's attention. Who was Kirihara's grandfather. Which I totally forgot about. The director gave us a grandfatherly smile when we arrived at the office. The other girls including Miyamura were already there. I almost didn't notice Kirihara on the side who was silently leaning on the wall. The chairman asked both sides of the story.

If this was any other incident, this would have been treated as nothing more than a playground fight but us, being Regalias of Prestige bloated things for a bit. All Regalias were privileged in this school but those of Prestige were even more so. There was a reason why the common denominator for the Regalias of Prestige were filthy rich families. The families of those of Prestige usually contribute a huge sum to the school. It's one of the reasons why the school could remain so luxurious despite the extravagant expenses. Part of the school was sponsored by these powerful and rich families. We were students the school couldn't simply afford to offend and we were people that should not, if possible, suffer any grievances during our time here in school. It would reflect badly on the school. We were the VIPs, so to speak. Hence, even the director has to intervene before everything gets out of control. This was very prone to abuse though. If this incident was the other way around, a Regalia of Prestige undermining a common student, it would be, in crude terms, swept under a rug under common circumstances. The school might be prestigious but it's not known for its fairness.