Six: In Love... Agai- Nope. Not Again. (part 3)

Eh? Do Kisaragi and Ryuugamine not get along too?

I got my answer during lunchtime. Homura had ambushed Kisaragi Toushirou about his opinions on Kisaragi's partnership with Ryuugamine on the way to the cafeteria. Lunch was part of the partner system. You have to eat lunch together with your partner so I was tagging along with Homura. The school figured out that there would be no isolation this way or at least it would lessen it. For some reason, Ryuugamine was nowhere to be found at the moment though so Homura had freely expressed his opinions.

What Homura got in reply for his concerns was a deadpanned stare from Kisaragi.

"Don't put your problems on other people, Kyou. Among the four of us, only you and Mahiro have problems with each other."

By four, he probably meant Kisaragi Toshirou, Kirihara Seiji, Homura Kyou, and Ryuugamine Mahiro. Those four knew each other long before I knew any of them. All of their families belong in the same socio-economic strata: the wealthiest and the elitist. My family does also belong in the same strata but their families were particularly close with each other since their fathers were good friends.

"But it's his highness bastard, Toshirou. How can you not have a problem having that as your partner for the rest of the year?"

"I get along with him."

"Ha?"

"Only the two of you don't get along. Oh, and he thinks you're a red-haired intellect deficient monkey too so the dislike is mutual."

"That bastard..."

I internally sighed. I wonder why those two don't get along in the first place?

I won't get myself involved in that though. Too much trouble. I'll just shut up, stay on the sidelines and let things run its course.

"Kouzuki, you're a Regalia too, right?" Homura asked when we got in the cafeteria.

Oh. He probably couldn't see my brooch because of my hair. I brushed my hair aside which put my Regalia brooch in plain sight.

"I am."

"Good. Let's have lunch on the second floor."

Other than the Partner System, the school also had the Regalia. A special brooch was given to a student qualified as a Regalia as a symbol of their status. The Regalia was much older than the Partner System. It was embedded on the school's culture. The Regalia was the school's elite and as the school's elite, they were given privileges. The Regalia was pretty much like an exclusive club for the most privileged and the most talented people in school. .

There were two ways to become a Regalia. One was through family prestige and another was through merit.

As a Kouzuki, I was already a shoe in for the Regalia and I was within the top ten academic ranks of my grade so my place as a Regalia was fully secured. It was the same for Homura, Kisaragi, Kirihara and Ryuugamine. My brothers too for that matter.