Chaptet Fourteen: The Mating Bond

The pink-hued edges shifted gently until the blinding light of the fire obscured everything, just for a second, and when my eyes adjusted, I found myself back on the crowded beach, with my back against Jamie's chest, cradled in his arms.

"Welcome back," he murmured, gently kissing the top of my head, seemingly unsurprised.

"What happened here?" I asked, watching the kids that had returned to playing in the sand around the groups of adults who had gone back to their chatter.

"The Goddess stayed in two places at once. She told us she was speaking with you privately, but a part of her stayed here and explained most of it to us. I'm sure you got the extended version, but she told us about your creation and what it means for the community."

"There really are no secrets around here, are there?" I mumbled, and he chuckled into my hair.

"Wait until you hear about the mating bond," he whispered. "Do you want to? It's a lot to take in, it might be a distraction while you process all of this."

"I can't think of a more peaceful place to hear overwhelming things," I said honestly, drinking in the sight of the waves lapping against the beach.

He rested his chin on top of my head and kept his voice impossibly low, quiet enough that the pack in front of us, absorbed in conversation, wouldn't hear. "To put it crassly, the mating bond is completed when mates have sleep with each other. The dominant wolf bites the submissive right here, and the bond is complete," he explained, gently tracing a spot on my collarbone, sending sparks shooting down my body.

"Bites!?" I exclaimed, trying to turn around, but he held me tightly where I was.

"It doesn't hurt, it's a part of the mating bond, it's actually incredibly pleasurable, and once completed the scar will create an extra erogenous zone that can only be stimulated by the dominant mate. Completing the bond will give you access to pack communication, you'll be able to communicate with us telepathically. I know it must seem incredibly weird to a human, but it's completely natural to us," he explained.

"Bites!?" I repeated, and he fell silent for a moment. "Great so a crazy Goddess lady created me like some Adam & Eve shit materialising me from her own being, gave me magical powers that draw male wolves to me and won't tell me why, haunts my dreams for two decades, whisks me away to some dream-state to tell me I am the god damn chosen one or something -"

"Goddess damned," Jamie corrected and I ripped myself from his grasp, spinning to stare at him incredulously.

"FINE! I'm the Goddess damned chosen one or whatever, I lose two years of my life and every memory I have to some psychopath witch wolf man thing and now I have to let you bite me, which by the way would let the whole Goddess damned world know I've had sex when you connect me to a freaky telepathic group chat, before we can go save the wolf world from some unforseen problem that I'm destined to fix?"

Jamie swallowed hard, clearly unsure how to respond.

Derek burst into laughter behind me, and I turned to see Conner batting him in the stomach.

"I'm sorry," he gasped as Jamie shot him a death glare. "I'm so sorry, I can't!"

"Stop that this instant," Jamie growled behind me and Derek straightened up immediately, humour still dancing in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry," he muttered again, choking back another laugh.

"It's incredibly disrespectful to laugh at your Luna when she is having a private conversation about the mating process with your Alpha," Jamie spay furiously.