Chapter Two: The Pack House

I stretched gently, waking from the most peaceful sleep I'd had in three weeks. I squinted slightly against the sunlight on my face, though opening my eyes revealed the sun was barely starting to rise.

"Welcome back, sleepyhead," Finn laughed softly as he scooped me back into his arms and lifted me from the car. I looked around me in awe as he quickly followed Evan towards the shore of a huge lake where Sarah was helping him untie a small speedboat. It seemed to stretch for miles, dotted with several small islands. Everything felt so calm and quiet; where I was from, I concluded, it was not like this. Finn set me down gently on a bench in the center of the boat and Evan wasted no time starting the engine as Sarah threw him the last rope.

"Thanks for the rescue guys, tell Alpha, uh, I mean Jamie," she corrected herself, her eyes darting towards me in panic. "Uh yeah, tell him I'll report for a debrief as soon as I've seen my folks."
Even nodded gruffly and before I could even question her strange words we were lurching across the water. My stomach flipped, instantly wiping what she said from my mind and I clung to the plastic bench beneath me, squeezing my eyes back closed.

"By that reaction, I'm guessing she's not from these parts," Evan commented.

"Where are you from Gracie?" Finn asked.

"I don't know," I replied truthfully. "Not here, I don't think."

They shared a knowing look between themselves.

"How old are you?" Evan quizzed, and I shrugged in response. "Do you know your birthday? What's your favorite color? Got any siblings?"

A tear spilled out despite my best attempt to keep them restrained as I realized I had no clue how to answer those questions.

"Oh Goddess," Finn sputtered, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "It's okay Gracie, I don't know what he's done to you but we'll help you fix it. You're gonna be okay, I promise."

I couldn't hold the tears back any longer and before any of us knew what was happening I was in hysterics. I desperately tried to breathe steadily, but every breath felt like a knife to my chest and the tears just wouldn't stop. I barely even noticed Finn carrying me ashore until the chaos erupted around me.

"Mine," an inhuman voice snarled, as someone ripped me out of Finn's arms and sent him flying back into the water.

I lashed out at the new person, clawing and punching at every inch of him I could reach while he stared down at me with a horrified expression on his face, his dirty blonde hair messily falling into his eyes.

"She's... She's human," he spluttered.

"Uh, yes Alpha, there was a situation. It's, er, it's a long story," Finn spluttered, still frozen in place sat in the shallow water, his hand gripping the edge of the boat tightly for support.

Evan stood to one side, barely daring to breathe as be took in the scene in front of him, his fists balled tightly.

"Let me go!" I wailed, still unable to contain my tears. The man immediately released me, an agonizing look of hurt coming over his face. He looked so sad I could almost feel my heart breaking for him, though I didn't understand why. I rushed back to Finn's side, and he wrapped one arm around me, holding the other one out towards the man as I buried my face into my hands at his side.

"I have Ashleigh. I have no intentions towards her, even if she wasn't your mate. If you saw the situation I pulled her out of you'd understand, but you need to calm down, please Alpha, you're terrifying her," he insisted, his voice shaking. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the man kick a tree and take several deep breaths, pinching the bridge of his nose. He reached back and scratched at the back of his neck, his biceps rippling at the stretch, before he approached us.