Chapter Seven: The fights

A middle aged man stood near the door, waiting for us.  He was built like a Brickhouse but had kind brown eyes and a slightly tanned, wrinkled face that made him more approachable and he broke into an enthusiastic smile when he saw us.

"Good morning Luna," he said, bowing his head briefly. "I'm Xavier, Sentinel of the Keswick pack, it's an honour to meet you."

I offered my hand, unsure what to do, and he enveloped it in a warm handshake.

"It's nice to meet you too," I offered shyly.

A girl around my age was stood behind him quietly, patiently waiting her turn. She was beautiful, tall and athletic with her jet black hair slicked into a high ponytail and work out wear hugging her curves. She beamed at me when I caught her eye.

"I'm Ashleigh, I'm Finn's mate and I'm so excited, uh, I mean, honoured to meet you Luna," she said, catching herself and bowing. Iaughed nervously.

"Could you guys please call me Gracie? The formalities make me a little uncomfortable," I admitted, and she grinned in response, visibly relaxing.

"I'd love that, I already know we're going to be the best of friends," she gushed. "Finn has told me so much about you, I feel like I know you so well already!"

"He told me a lot about you too," I replied, fondly remembering how Finn would sit with me if Jamie had to work and tell me all sorts of stories. He'd painted her to be a firecracker: loud and opinionated, someone who can hold their own in a fight, who never backs down when they believe in something and someone with immense heart. He really loved her, and I could already see why. She radiated warmth.

"We'll have plenty of time to get to know each other even better, we should set up something just the two of us, have a girls day or something, but I'm gonna leave you guys to get on with your training, duty calls!" She pulled me into a brief hug, a comforting smell of lemons washing over me, and she disappeared off outside in a flash.

"Yes, she's always like that," Xavier answered my unspoken question with a laugh. "Shall we see what we're working with then Gracie?"

"Yeah, sure," I said, beginning some basic stretches while we talked.

"So Jamie said you enjoyed boxing yesterday?" Xavier asked.

"Yeah, that was a really good release of stress," I said with a smile.

"Indeed. He also thinks you have some martial arts background," he continued.

"She absolutely does, you should have seen her," Derek quipped.

Xavier watched closely as I warmed up with the punching bag, Derek holding it steady for me. I stayed there for a long time, working out my anxiety until I felt better. I sat on the floor, chugging some water.

"There's no doubt you've had boxing training. Your form is perfect, you have excellent discipline and your breathing work is better than some of my best warriors," Xavier said, looking confused.

"There's also got to be some martial arts background there," Derek added. "Judo for sure, she did some extremely advanced flips yesterday. But her stance is more like Karate, and the way she wraps her hands I've only ever seen in Muay Thai fighters."

"Certainly an unusually mix," Xavier said. "I'd like to see it in action."

"You want to fight me?" I asked.

He stumbled over himself trying to correct as Derek smirked. "No, Luna, I just, I obviously not, never, I would never, I just-"

"At ease, Sentinel," I teased with a grin and relief washed over his face. I stepped into the chalk ring on the floor. "Let's go."