Chapter Twenty Four - The Battle

**Jamie's POV**

We stood at the head of a small army, the six of us Alphas shoulder to shoulder with our Beta's, Gamma's and most trusted warriors behind us. Just over 100 of us in total. It was the first time in recorded history that so many high ranking members of the six packs had stood united against a common enemy. Unspoken tension filled the air between us - losing pack members of this rank in any quantity could devestate any of our packs, but for it to happen to six at once would throw out entire community into turmoil and leave thousands of wolves vulnerable to rogues. Failure was not an option. I looked at Osian to my left and Zayn to my right, still surprised at how fiercely loyal he had proven himself to be, and silently vowed to improve our pack relations when this was all over. We were proving that things could be different if we made the effort, and I hoped for a better future for all of our packs. I turned to make eye contact with Evan, stood just behind me.

I'm good He said steadfastly over mind-link. I got your back.

I need you to keep a cool head out there, I warned, pouring authority into my words.

Yes sir, he responded, half teasingly, but staring into my eyes with steady resolve. He had been in full Beta mode since he'd been woken several hours before, his wolf guiding him through his rage, helping him channel it all into getting our mates back safely instead of going insane.

"Let's do this," I said quietly, getting a silent nod in response from Osian and Zayn. The quiet woods were suddenly filled with the noise of bones crunching and snapping as six shift commands rippled through our forces. There was no use staying quiet any longer, the noise of a hundred wolves shifting had alerted every werewolf within a mile that we were coming, so we let our angry growls slip through as we charged through the treeline towards the second house of the morning.

The house Finn had rescued Gracie and Sarah from had been pretty much abandoned, bar two servants left behind, which was pretty expected. Their loyalty to Cain was tested, and was proven to be extremely weak when faced with six furious Alphas. They told us everything they knew, and were instructed to remain at the house and wait for our return. They were in terrible shape, born to rogues and left to fend for themselves for the majority of their life until Cain took them in. Buy they were malnourished and pretty beat up - neither Osian or I could stand to leave them behind and resolved to offer them a place in our packs if the information they had given us was true.

Their intel had led us to this next house, where they were unsure how many wolves awaited us. We weren't too worried, our sources suggested Cain could have between 50 and 100 followers, so we charged the house confidently.

We were surrounded before we knew it, by at least 250 wolves. We were hugely outnumbered, but our warriors had trained their whole lives for this and we're fiercely determined to defend my Luna. The wolves were gathered from countless small rogue packs, just as the servants had told us, and taking orders from so many different Alphas confused and distracted them, making it fairly easy for us to pick through their ranks. I was fighting back to back with Osian, five wolves circling us when her scream pierced the air. My heart skipped a beat, and the wolves took their chance and lept forwards, pinning me to the ground. Osian managed to pull one of them away, and was grappling with it while the other snapped at my throat. Just as I thought it was all over a huge black wolf flew into it, tearing it to shreds. I staggered to my feet just in time as four more lunged at me. I finally gave in, letting Sable take full control, anything to get to our mate faster.

On it, I heard Evan say through mind-link, seething fury dripping from his voice and I watched in pride as my Beta launched himself from the ground, straight through a second floor window, sending shattered glass flying down towards the wolves that chased him to the edge of the house.