Chapter Eight: The Pack Dinner

We slipped into a comfortable routine, at last, over the week that followed. I trained every morning training at the crack of dawn to avoid the crowds, which still made me a little anxious. Ashleigh joined me and we grew really close, really fast. Jamie was right, it was nice to have a girlfriend, especially since Sarah was busy running her bakery on the mainland, though I'd never admit that to him. A couple days after we first met we got to have our girls' day.

After training we hit the showers in the gym, listening to her cheesy throwback pop playlist.
"You ready?" She asked, slinging her gym bag over her shoulder. I nodded and we headed back out into the main gym where Derek was waiting to escort us back to the pack house.

Ashleigh led us to her's and Finn's suite, only a few rooms down from mine and Jamie's. It was really similar to ours, they'd obviously been originally decorated by the same person but Ashleigh's touch was everywhere. Soft lamps dulled the harshness of the white walls, cozy rugs, cushions and blankets softened the harsh leather and wood, and beautiful prints were peppered across the walls. There was a beautiful bouquet of roses in the center of the table. Ashleigh smiled when she saw me admiring them.

"Finn brings me flowers every week when he visits the businesses on the mainland," she explained.

"Aww he's such a big softie," I said with a grin.

"He really is, I don't know how I got so lucky to have him as a mate," she said with a gentle smile. I reached out and rubbed her shoulder.

"Hey, you're both insanely lucky to have each other," I said.

She grinned and got down to business with our girls day. She braided my hair, painted my nails and put a face mask on me and we sat for hours drinking wine and talking on her sofa before she decided she wanted to make biscuits. I had no idea how to make biscuits, but I happily sat on the breakfast bar opposite her and helped her weigh and mix ingredients. They'd just gone into the oven when Jamie and Finn walked in. Finn rounded the counter and crushed Ashleigh into a bear-hug and I smiled. Jamie leaned on the counter next to me, his hand finding its way to my back, he gently rubbing my spine, sending tingles through my whole body.

"Hey, you've got a little something," he said with laugh, pulling his sleeve down at wiping the tip of my nose. He leaned in and kissed it so softly I barely felt it and I sighed contededly.

"You guys are just precious together," Ashleigh interjected.

"Are you joining us for the pack dinner tonight?" Finn asked nonchalantly and I looked at Jamie quizzically.

"We have a big get together once a month or so, with most of our pack on the mainland we don't get to see each other as much as we'd like to so we do a big dinner," he explained.

"That sounds like a lot of people," I mumbled, unsure if I was ready for such a big step.

"It's casual, it's just like a school dinner hall really," Finn said reassuringly as if I had any idea what eating in a school dinner hall felt like.

"But I don't really know anyone," I mumbled.

"Nonsense," Ashleigh quipped. "You'll be with us and Evan, Sarah and Xavier will be there."

"My family is coming too," Jamie added. "They're really excited to meet you."

"Your family?" I stuttered. "No way, I'm not ready to meet the parents, no, no, no."

"Relax, they're gonna love you," he insisted, stroking the back of my hand with his thumb.

"How am I supposed to just meet the parents? We haven't even defined what we are! Are we together, are we dating? We share a bed but you've never even kissed me so how do we go from that to all of a sudden meeting the parents?" I quizzed.