XIII • Sneaking Around

I was half asleep almost the whole trip back. I was just exhausted. Dream had a similar way back into his castle to me, through an area in the back of the walls. He quietly lead Spirit into the stables and I was thankful that they weren't too far away.

  "You're back early." My head shot up at the sound of someone's voice, but I relaxed a tiny bit when I realized it was Sapnap.

  "Be quiet." Dream commanded in a hushed tone.

  "What?" Sapnap complained. "Oh! Oh, got it."

  I looked over with tired eyes to see that Sapnap was looking at me. I offered him a weak smile.

  The smile dropped from his face. "Holy crap, what happened?"

  Dream pat my arm and mumbled to me. "I'm gonna get off. I'll help you down."

  I let go of him and he got off of Spirit before reaching up and helping me down. "Thank you." I mumbled as my bandaged feet hit the hay covered ground.

  "Sapnap, get some bandages. I didn't have enough with me." He glanced at Sapnap before taking Spirit's saddle off. Sapnap hurried out of the stable and I leaned against a railing to keep myself from falling over. Dream focused on getting everything off of Spirit. "Sorry. We'll get you to a bed soon. I just want to make sure Spirit's all set."

  "Don't apologize. I'm the one burdening you here. Don't worry." I closed my eyes. The stables were so dark that it barely made a difference.

  "You're not burdening me." His voice was strong to get the point across. "You wouldn't be here if I didn't want you here."

  I sighed and kept my eyes closed. I opened them again when I felt Dream's presence in front of me. He took my hand and brought me out of Spirit's stall before he hugged me close to him and rubbed my back. I melted into his touch.

  A couple minutes passed before Sapnap returned. "Found some, but you have to come up with a reason they're missing."

  "Thank you." Dream pulled away and had me sit down before he took the bandages from Sapnap. He immediately got to work on taking the torn bandages from my arms.

  "So, how'd all that happen?" Sapnap nodded at me.

  "Broken bottle." I replied while I watched Dream's careful movements.

  "How'd you break a bottle?" Sapnap questioned.

  "I was trying to break it over someone's head." I explained to him with a slight frown.

  He just looked confused. "Who?"

  I sighed and shook my head. "Schlatt."

  "Why?" Sapnap sounded concerned.

  "Drop it." Dream growled as he wrapped the new bandages around my arms.

  "It's okay." I reassured before turning to look at Sapnap. "I was told that my dowry was already paid to him."

  The look on his face could only be described as shock. I couldn't see very well in the dark room, but his exaggerated look made it clear as day. "You have to marry Schlatt?"

  I looked at the bandages on my arm. "Not anymore."

  "Do you have a lantern?" Dream questioned Sapnap.

  He pulled an unlit one down from the wall and lit it with a match. When he turned to hand it to Dream, he stared at me in shock.

  "What?" I mumbled the question sheepishly. I wasn't sure what was wrong exactly.