XVI • Free

T/W: Self-harm (nothing to do with mental health)

I couldn't do anything to help Dream discreetly gather some materials to bring with us, so I was left in his room to try to sort through the stuff that he had brought so far. It wasn't too difficult of a task, but it made me anxious. I couldn't be sure how much would be too much or how much would be too little. We needed to make sure that it was both not too much to carry and not too much gone as to make it suspicious.

We had agreed on only enough food for a week and one change of clothes. It really was the absolute minimum, but we weren't taking chances. Money was really the only thing that we had decided to bring in bulk. It was our only security and it was only enough to be seen as some sort of thievery within the castle. It would concern the guards, but it would pale in comparison to the missing king.

I couldn't let myself think about it for too long without feeling extremely guilty. Dream wouldn't tell me what his plan for his "death" was, but even the idea of it concerned me.

  I looked at the packed saddlebags and frowned. This was what we had to our names: a couple blankets, some clothing, a few bandages, some food, and a bit of money hidden away. I turned away from it to look at the nearly dark garden.

  I approached the window and looked out. That was when I noticed just who was standing down there. Dream was pointing to the bush of bleeding hearts with his sister standing beside him. I had no idea what they were talking about, but I could see the small smile on Drista's face even from here. The look she was giving her brother could only be described as understanding just before she wrapped her arms around him.

  I could feel my heart breaking and tore my gaze away from the window. I didn't hesitate to shut the curtain. I couldn't stomach their goodbye. My head felt as though it was spinning. Did he even tell her it was a goodbye? Would I have wanted to know?

  I sat down at his desk and bit the inside of my cheek to distract from the emotional pain I was feeling. I was brought back to my own goodbye with Charity. I wouldn't even call it a goodbye.

  Run.

  That was her last word to me, her last word to anyone. I was forced to shove these thoughts aside if I was going to keep moving. I couldn't grieve.

  A couple knocks sounded against the large door and I quickly stood up to hide myself. I didn't know who that could be and I wasn't taking chances. I silently made my way towards his closet.

  I only stopped when I heard who was at the door. "It's me. You can open it." I knew that was Sapnap's voice.

  I turned to walk over to the door and opened it a crack. I looked at Sapnap in the small opening I'd created. "Hello."

  He was unreadable. "Please let me in."

  I moved and opened the door for him.

  "Thank you." He walked past me and I noticed the package in his hands. He looked into the saddlebags that I had packed. "Which is yours?"

  I pointed towards the one to his left. "That one."

  He set the package inside and turned to me. "Give those to Bentley if he gets temperamental. He's spoiled."

  I furrowed my brow in confusion. "Am I taking Bentley?"

  He nodded shortly. "Yes. You need a horse."

  "I just didn't know it would be Bentley." I tried to reason. "He's your horse."

  Sapnap shook his head. "I've trained with him, yes, but he's not my horse. I have my own horse. I trust you'll keep him safe."