When they realize they are in love - ts, ku, & oi

tsukishima kei, kuroo tetsurō, oikawa tōru x gn reader

GENRE: FLUFF

WARNINGS: TSUKISHIMA'S IS POST TIME-SKIP

WORD COUNT: 890

Tsukishima

He wandered back into his dorm room after a snack run to find you fast asleep on his bed, all of the blankets yanked to your side. Your laptop screen was still lit up on your lap, open to the notes you and he had spent the last several hours poring over. You looked peaceful; the stress of finals lifted from your shoulders by slumber.

After stiff introductions in the train station six months ago, conversation flowed effortlessly between you and him. How long you talked that night he did not know, but it took only a few minutes to realize you and he had a lot more in common than just music. Weeks later he saw you nearly every day. He had had good friends before – even best friends – but nothing compared to this. The time he spent with you flashed by quickly, the hours sprouting a pair of wings, but the days he did not see you dragged on for ages.

Acknowledgement of this is how he realized he was falling in love with you.

Drawn back to the moment by the sound of rustling sheets, he looked over to his bed where you stirred listlessly in your sleep. He set the snacks down quickly, stretching out to grab the laptop before it could slide to the ground.

This was the other – the allure of your features in situations that should be unflattering. He had never experienced a connection to another person like this before.

Tsukishima gently closed your laptop, setting it aside. He leaned down, tucking the blanket around you, careful not to wake you up. He let his fingers rest on your jaw for a moment, tracing the contour of moonlight on your skin.

He would tell you tomorrow.

Kuroo :

Coming to the nationals he knew you would not be able to spend all of your time with him. You were, after all, Fukurodani's team manager and they would need you and Akaashi would need your help handling Bokuto. Normally it would not have bothered him, but the honeymoon, puppy-love, stage of your relationship had ended, and in the back of his mind he was worried you would lose interest. Someone else would notice you and sweep you off your feet, he knew he was not the only one susceptible to your beauty.

Kenma muttered his name, forcing Kuroo out of his thoughts. Kuroo shook his head, dragging his attention back to the game. He looked to his golden-eyed friend, his brows furrowing, they were at nationals. They had a game to win; he would have to worry about this later.

"Hey, Kuroo," Yamamoto called to him, pointing at the stands, "who is that?"

Kuroo followed his teammate's hand, finding his own jersey number in the sea of people. You were seating yourself in the stands, a surge of pride washed over him – you had worn it. But his pride was quickly overwhelmed by irritation as your focus was drawn away from the court by a group of boys seated near you, the annoyance evident on your face. Kuroo's grip on his water bottle tightened as they closed ranks around you, each garnering for your attention. Forgetting about you for the rest of this game was going to be impossible now.

Just as the referee blew his whistle, signaling the end of the timeout, Bokuto and Akaashi entered the stands, making their way over to you. The two Fukurodani players forced their way into the seats on either side of you, their glares leaving no room for argument from your admirers. Leaning forward in your seat, you finally caught Kuroo's gaze. You brighten up, waving excitedly. Bokuto joins in enthusiastically, his rowdy cheering cutting off when Akaashi shoves his shoulder. Kuroo can see your shoulders shake with laughter, and his lips rise into a smile at the sight.

Kuroo shakes his head in mock exasperation but stepped back onto the court feeling ten times lighter. Maybe he did not have to worry about it at all.

Oikawa :

He should have known better.

He had dated before, but none of those could compare to the blooming relationship he was experiencing with you. And yet, in the back of his mind, he had expected you to act the same, to treat him the same as everyone else, and to leave him eventually like everyone else. He assumed your expectations would be the same as theirs' always were. He had to be the best – absolute perfection at all times.

He had taken your kiss of good luck before the game with a confident grin, even waved to you in the stands, but never thought you would stick around after the game. Who wanted to be seen with a loser?

Oikawa stared at you, no longer in the stands but on the court searching for him. Grimly resigning himself to eyes full of pity and sadness, he walked towards you. Your eyes would reflect what you were feeling inside, and he would witness the moment you realized he was no more than human.

But he should have known better, he realizes as you wrap him into your arms. The look in your eyes was not pity – simply understanding. He sunk into your embrace, his shoulders sinking in relief.

You did not expect perfection; you never had. You only expected him.