To Pluto - kageyama

genre: fluff with a splash of angst

warnings: none

word count: 1990

I knew there would be a speech waiting for me inside, "how dare I stay outside after dark," but in the moment I really did not care. The night air was warm; the grass beneath me comfortable. And besides, I had an ongoing bet – the first one to leave lost and I could not lose to Tobio.

The punishment would have to wait.

"Y/N?"

"Hmm?" I asked, rolling my head to look at the boy sprawled out on the ground next to me. How many times over our summers together did we end up in this exact same position? Two naïve kids exhausted from the day's activities, collapsed in one of our backyards? A thousand times.

He folded his arms underneath the back of his head, a soft frown etching itself onto his face. "I know you're moving away, and we won't be at the same school," He muttered, blue eyes darting away from my face, "but you won't forget me, right?"

The only topic we had not talked about over the last few months, instead living each summer day like it was our last. Even so a moving date was finally set-in stone, circled in red on the calendar in my room. If we did not talk about it, I could pretend my whole world was not tiptoeing along the edge of a cliff, likely to plunge into the see with the wind. These nights were coming to an end, and tonight might be the last. I could not tell him how terrified I was to start over without him or explain this was my worst nightmare come to life, but how could he possibly think I would forget him?

"Of course not, silly. I've known you my whole life, how could I?" It was true, Kageyama Tobio was a constant in every memory I could recall. Neither of us could remember our first interaction, but what did it really matter? He was just there – and that is how it should have been forever.

He did not respond for a while, comfortable silence drifting in the air between us. Clouds fled on the breeze, stars beginning to peak out from behind the darkness of space. The blinking lights of an airplane emerged above us, and when it disappeared over the distant horizon he asked, "You promise?"

Was he joking? Peering at him in surprise, my humor fading at the expression on his face – far too serious for an eleven-ear-old. He glared up at the full moon, the faint light of the house flickering across his dark hair. Rolling onto my side, I poked a finger into his ribs, giggling at his familiar scowl, "I promise, Kageyama Tobio."

He swatted my arm away with an annoyed look, but his shoulders visibly eased. Smiling, I laid back on the gross, tracing constellations to fill the time. I did not have enough candy left to lose the bet two nights in a row.

"How much do you promise?"

I groaned, rolling my eyes, "Tobio, that doesn't even make sense—"

He cut me off with an elbow to the side, "Y/N," he mocked my tone.

I yelped in pain, shoving him as far as my arms could reach. He remained steadfast however, burning a hole into the side of my face with his impatient stare. Deciding to humor him, I placed a finger on my chin contemplatively. "As much as... from here to Pluto."

"Pluto?" He questioned incredulously, face turning to the sky, "I can't even see it."

"That's the whole point, Tobio."

////

I was more intimidated for the first week of high school than I wanted to admit, but I could not say that to Tadashi or Kei. My two friends seemed to fit right into their classes and club, although to be honest with myself I did not remember a time I saw Tsukishima Kei not at ease.