02

Isi was down in the village looking at all the different things the citizens were selling

Isi was down in the village looking at all the different things the citizens were selling. Her dress hung loosely around her body, her hair braided perfectly as it hung down her back.

Many of the men smiled at her as she walked past, she usually got that affect while she roamed the streets. It did make her uncomfortable, the men were twice her age.

The looks suddenly all stopped, their faces now filled with fear. Isi soon found out why as the sound of dragging across the ground came from behind her. She knew that sound all to well now.

Looking down she was met with her older brother Ivar crawling next to her. He looked in a hurry, something was definitely on his mind.

"Ivar is everything okay?" She asked causing him to turn his head up to her. His deep sapphire eyes were filled with rage, which for the youngest Ragnarson was never a good thing.

"Apparently father has returned" he explained blankly, continuing his journey up the path. Isi stood there, staring at her brother in shock. Her father was finally back.

Once she had snapped out of her thoughts, she followed her brothers trial. Pushing her way through the crowd of citizens, she was met with her brothers. All staring at a man in the middle of the circle. Since she hadn't seen him since she was little, it took a moment for her to realise that it was Ragnar.

"Hello Ivar there's no mistaking you" He said looking at his youngest son. Ivar only shrugged as a response. Finally his eyes met with those dark ones of Isi, both shocked to see each other.

"Isi, you've grown into a beautiful woman" he smiled, taking in his now grown up daughter. He had missed all the years of her childhood. She had grown up only hearing stories of her father, he left when she was only young. She could barely remember him now.

Isi stood by Sigurd as their father started shouting at them to kill him. They all looked at one another, Isi could remember her brothers saying they would kill him if he ever returned. And now he had, and yet they hadn't killed him.

"What kind of father abandons his sons, abandons his only daughter" his voice full of guilt. By now he had regretted his decision of leaving, but it was something he believed he had to do.

The siblings all stood silently, Sigurd placing a hand into his sisters for comfort. All of the boys had grown part of their childhood with their father, Isi was the only one who hadn't.

"Who wants to be king!" Ragnar shouted, stabbing his sword into the ground. His sudden movements made the girl jump slightly, but enough to catch the attention of her siblings.

They hated it when she was hurt or upset. They had to protect her, she was their sister. Every brother would be the same.

After moments of silence, Ubbe unexpectedly stepped forward. Isi frowned at her brother as he gripped into his sword, walking towards Ragnar. She attempted to walk forward but was stopped by Sigurd holding her back.

Ivar turned to his sister, along with Hvitsirk and watched as tears filled her eyes. Normally they would comfort her but they stood their ground, and aloud Sigurd to do it for now.

To Isi's surprise Ubbe shared a hug with Ragnar, instead of digging his sword into his stomach. And killing him, like she had expected.

They all walked into the woods to have a family discussion, so Ragnar could explain why he abandoned his children. They all needed answers.

Isi sat on a small log beside Sirgurd as they listened to their father explain. Bjorn told him the rumour, that Ragnar had fathered another son to Queen Kwenthrith. A woman they went to fight for.

"I came back" Ragnar began, letting out a groan as he pulled himself from the ground. Isi could tell he had aged quite a bit in the years, he didn't look as young as she had hoped. As he started walking downhill, Sigurd moved closer to his sister, just in case. Their father had been gone to long for him to trust him again.

"I came back because I wanted to see what has become of my children" the eyes of the siblings all turned to one another. Searching for answers, or ways to respond to him.

"And?" Bjorn spoke up with a smile, he didn't seem so bothered about his sudden return. Not unlike the others.

"And now I'm going to England, I thought you all might want to join me. Isi looks like she hasn't even left the village" groans escaped Sirgurd and Hvitsirks mouths at the mention of their sisters name.

There was reasons to keep her in Kattegat. So she would be safe.

"She will not be going with you either" Sigurd said, his voice dangerously deep. Ragnar furrowed his brows at his sons response, it looked as if his daughter was chained by her siblings.

Isi zoned out of the conversation after that, unwanted interested in what ever else he had to say. She noticed that Ivar was not aloud to join their discussion and it broke her heart. That even to this day he was treated unfairly, all because of his deformity.

Sirgurd grew tired of standing and took a seat beside his sister. The weight of him sitting down was enough to draw her from her daydream and back into reality.

"Hvitsirk has agreed to come with me" was all Bjorn had to say to get her attention. Her eyes met with the soft dark ones of Hvitsirk, he had yet to tell her he planned to leave. Her eyes practically told him, he was in for a debate.

Ragnar looked at his remaining sons and daughter, before speaking once more. "Why are you three not going with your brothers?"

Ubbe did the honour of being big brother and done all the talking. Explaining how Kattegat had became a major trading centre in the region.

"We want to stay and protect our mother and sister, is that a crime?" Isi rolled her eyes at the thought of them staying for her. She did not need to be babied.

And she was going to prove it one day.