017

The following days weren't exciting, at least not to Isi anyway

The following days weren't exciting, at least not to Isi anyway. Discussing land, walking around a deserted, broken city, and grieving over the death of Helga.

Though her brothers tried desperately to cheer her up, the sadness never budged. It ate at the girl from the insides, breaking down her walls and opening her up to heartbreak.

Hvitsirk and Sigurd had taken Isi out into the field beyond the walls of Wessex, for some training. Even if there was no battle any time soon, it was good to practice, it allowed the girl let out her built up feelings.

"Sigurd hold your sword properly or I will end up taking your hand clean off" Isi giggled, swinging her sword around in her hand.

Her brothers laughed, "remind her she's not actually trying to kill me brother" Sigurd spoke, his attention remaining on Isi.

Isi lunged forward, her shield smashing against Sigurds, the metal of their swords ringing through her ears. They were both very talented fighters, throughout the battle, though getting wounded Isi received complements on her skills.

Much to Bjorns disagreement, Isi was labelled the best shield maiden. Better then Lagertha herself. Even if she didn't think it, deep down she was great full that all her hard work was being recognised.

"Sigurd you fool, use your shield" Hvitsirk called, laughing as he watched the two fight. It filled him with joy to see his sister smile once again.

"You try and fight her then brother" he responded, trying to steady his breathing.

Hvitsirk let out a chuckle, pulling his sword out from his belt and approaching his younger sister. Without warning he lunged forward, catching her off guard slightly. She remained focused however, quickly blocking his attack.

The fight continued until Hvitsirk eventually surrendered, using the excuse he was hungry. But being her brother, Isi knew that it was a lie, he was always hungry but the sweat dripping from his forehead did him to favours.

The trio returned to the small city, to be greeted with their other siblings gathered around a large table. Overlooking the many warriors who had survived the battles. King Harald and his brother at the front.

"Friends!" Bjorn shouted as the three sat down, Sigurd immediately stuffing his face with food. "No one will ever be able to doubt what we have achieved" he continued, earning a few faint hums from the audience.

"An army of all our people's, and we have defeated not one, but two English kingdoms" the crowd raising their hands into the air to support Bjorn.

Isi could sense the tension in the air as he continued, explaining that they now had the right to the land to farm. But as Isi could recall, King Ecbert had not yet been blood eagled, not to her knowledge anyway.

Ivars face told her that it was in fact true, Ecbert hadn't been blood eagled. Which meant Bjorn had dealt with it himself, possibly allowing him Ecbert to live. Knowing how generous the oldest brother was.