023

A farmer

A farmer. The daughter of Ragnar Lothbrok gave up fighting and became a farmer.

Everything had changed now. She was happily married to Eric –the warrior she had gotten close with while staying in York– and she now had another two children. Nikolas age 9, Bersi age 7, along with Alec the small Christian child who is now 15.

She had heard the stories of her brothers triumphs and failures throughout the years. How they were now turned against one another, she couldn't deny that it wasn't a shock. It was only a matter of time.

They had always fought like Saxon and Heathens but in the end they were brothers. That would've stopped them from committing anymore damage that needed to be done. But that all changed the day Ivar took Sigurds life, that bond broke between them all, that trust.

Even after all this time Isi could still see the scene unfold in front of her eyes. Sigurd just lying there, the blood soaking through his clothes.

Don't get me wrong she missed her brothers with everything she had, even Ivar. She missed seeing them on birthdays, getting the chance to introduce them into her sons lives, she missed them in general. Even the fights.

But she was happy. She finally had everything she could have wished for in life. Isi only hoped that her parents were proud of her in Valhalla. Though she was certain they were disappointed in their sons, how they have betrayed one another, gone against each other.

Isi stayed fighting for a few months after she fled, she fought to survive. Fought to gain land, a place to live and be free. She was only ever taught to take what you want, so that's what she grew up knowing.

She taught her boys how to fight and defend themselves– being part of the Lothbrok bloodline there were sure to be many enemies–with help from Eric who was also a rather talented fighter, the kids were doing great. He had killed many on the battlefield. But the pair put their past behind them to raise their children.

They weren't too close to Kattegat, yet they weren't too far away either. But they were hidden. Anyone rarely came across them unless they were willing to trade stock with them, Isi had learned to make a living here.

Their small hut was secluded from the majority of the world, hidden inside a vast range of trees. They had to be miles away from civilisation, it was quiet and peaceful.

The present day and Isi was outside in the warmth on the sun, tending to their small supply of goats. They were expecting soon so the animals had to be cared for properly, making sure they were fed and had plenty of water. Isi couldn't wait to have little goats running around, it was the favourite part of the year for her boys.

She had just finished feeding the animals and was heading back towards her hut to start on her other daily chores, when the sound of horses came from the woods. This wasn't usual.

They sounded close, and sounded as if they weren't just passing by. Though she had been away from battle for quite some time, Isi could always identify the sound of war armour and shields.

She could hear the sounds of her husband and children at the front of her hut talking quietly. As she made her way through the house, she made sure to take hold of her sword before jointing her family at the front door. Eric wrapping an arm around her waist protectively, his other around the two young children in front of him.

Isi's eyes widened once they focused on a single horse which approached them, her brother sat atop of it. Ubbe.

He had aged, which was likely due to the many years they had spent apart. His hair reminded her a lot of Bjorn's, a long braid dangling down his back. His beard also reminded her of Bjorn, yet he had a few similarities of their father also.

She could see him smile as he dismounted from the animal, taking the rein into his hand as he continued to his journey towards them.

Isi's eyes watered, it had been so long.

"Who are you?" Alec asked defensively, stepping towards the stranger, his hand on his axe that sat on his belt.

Once he turned 13, Isi believed it was a rightful age for him to own a weapon. Though he wasn't biologically a Viking, he grew up as one and grew up knowing their ways. Isi got her first axe way older then Alec, having to earn her own one, her son earned his at a young age.

"Children? Isi you have children" Ubbe smiled, his eyes looking over the family in front of him. He was proud.

Isi smiled back at him, stopping her eldest from taking another step towards him.

Alec turned to her with an intense stare, as if she was allowing them to be killed.

"It's okay" She told him. "This is Ubbe–son of Ragnar Lothbrok, my brother. Your uncle."

Both of her younger sons looked up at her as Eric walked forward to welcome Ubbe. They shook hands and Eric took the horse from him, most likely to take it to the stable while he stayed.

Ubbe cautiously approached his sister and the children, knowing that the oldest of them didn't quite trust him. Looking at him he was surprised that a Christian could make such a convincing Viking.

Once close enough Isi connected her forehead with Ubbe's, just like they had done many times on the battlefield as a sign of relief that they had survived.

"Why have you come brother?" She asked.

By his moment of silence she knew that it wasn't something she was going to like. It had to be important, he wouldn't have come if it wasn't.

"Isi I need your help, we need your help."