013

That morning Isi and her brothers strung the dead body of King Aelle from the trees

That morning Isi and her brothers strung the dead body of King Aelle from the trees. His body shaped like an eagle as the sun shone from behind him. Blood still dripping from the hours old corpse, his guts spilling from his open back.

They set sail for Wessex, King Ecbert was next on their murder list. No doubt he would have been informed that Aelle had been killed, he was a smart enough man to know he was next. He would have formed an army by the time they arrived.

All through the trip her brothers would none stop pester Isi about stepping out of the next battle, because she was wounded. But in the wild a wounded animal would have to keep going or it would die. Isi compared herself to that animal.

"Ubbe stop I am fine" she insisted, pushing his hand from her shoulder.

"You are injured Isi. You are not fine" he argued, the rest of her brothers humming in agreement. Isi rolled her eyes as they grouped against her.

When she awoke from her nap they had arrived on the borders of Wessex. Men already unloading the boats. Her dark eyes scanned the crowds of people, many setting up camp for the night.

As usual the sons of Ragnar never participated, instead they sat around a small table drinking mead from their cups. By their faces Isi could tell Sigurd and Ivar had been arguing, it wouldn't surprise her if they had. They two fought like Heathens and Saxons.

"Hello Isi" Floki greeted the young girl, handing her a cup as she sat along with him. He had been down lately since his wife brought back a random girl to replace their child that they had lost. She felt sorry for him.

"Hello Floki, arguing again are they?" She asked gulping down the drink like her life depended on it. It would help take her mind off of her wound, she didn't much care for the burning sensation as she swallowed.

"When do they not" he laughed, his signature giggle following after.

The pair looked over at the group of brothers, Ivar, Sigurd and Bjorn all debating. She could tell her other brothers were not enjoying listening, they never did when they were arguing.

"So this is what the grunting of the little pigs was all about" Floki laughed, the brothers turning towards them.

"Seriously Ivar, loosen up a bit" Isi added walking over to him, placing her head onto his shoulder. He let out a grunt of disapproval, he hated being told what to do.

"What you have to learn Ivar, is that if you break up this brotherhood we shall not succeed" Bjorn stated, silence washing over the group.

Isi let out a sigh. "What Bjorn is trying to say is that we all have to stick together" Isi corrected, staring at her oldest brother intensely.

Tired of her brothers constant arguing, Isi excused herself from dinner and headed towards the small river at the end of the camp. It was dark by now, most of the warriors asleep or drunk in their tents. They did have a victory to celebrate after all.

Isi removed her clothing until she was down to a small vest, goosebumps forming on her now bare  skin. She slowly stepped into the water, a shiver coursed through her body at the freezing temperature.

Once she came to being neck deep in the water, she looked up to the sky. The stars peering through the small paces in the trees, her head laying back against the water. For the first time in many days, everything was peaceful. There was no screams, no fighting. Just the sounds of the night.

Her mind was brought back to reality when she was pulled onto the shore. Her breathing heavy, gasping for breaths. Ubbe and Sigurd on their knees beside her, their clothes dripping with the water from the river.

"Isi what were you thinking?" Sigurd asked, his voice stern but also concerned. Isi was unsure about what he meant, she couldn't remember them coming into the water.

Ubbe wrapped her in his cloak, her body shivering with the cold. "Next time you go for a swim come back up to the surface" he told her, lifting her into his arms.

Her brothers brought her to her tent, laying her down onto her bed the rest of her siblings joined. Ubbe explained to them that while passing the river, him and Sigurd found Isi laying at the surface unconscious.

The girls eyes sprung open, she had no memory of almost dying. Anyone would remember that would they have not? Yet she couldn't recall.

Ignoring her brothers lectures and arguing about not being careful. Isi's heavy eyes closed once more, drifting off into a deep slumber. Her mind clear, her shoulder giving her no pain. It was as if she had no emotion, no feeling, she just slept.