chapter one

chapter one - the beginning of the end

-

You woke up from a nap. You were still in the Outpost. You had been saved from the nuclear war outside and the nuclear winter that followed. You were supposed to be grateful for the opportunity because if you hadn't been given it you would be dead or dying right now. Your body would be consumed by canker pus and cancers. But you didn't feel grateful. You felt so out of place there. The clock read five-thirty pm. You had thirty minutes until dinner. You slipped out of bed and put on a big purple dress and corset, just like every other day, as instructed by Ms. Venable.

Ms. Venable was a tall, slim woman with perfect eyebrows and perfect hair. She was gorgeous and if she wasn't so cold and mean you might have even been attracted to her.

You pinned up your hair and wiped down your face with a cold rag. You walked down the stairs and into the library, drawing your finger across all of the books on the wall. There were so many to choose from, walls lined with bookshelves, all full.

"Dinner is in five minutes."

You jumped at the sound of the woman's familiar deep voice. It was Ms. Venable.

"Make sure not to be late." The dark-haired woman stepped closer to the bookshelves, with her cane tapping rhythmically as she walked. She pulled a book out of the array and handed it to you. "I was particularly fond of this one when I read it."

You take the book from her hand and your fingers brush against each others. "I haven't read it yet. I'll try it out." You reply. Your stomach fills with butterflies. The woman was especially gorgeous in the lighting of the library, which was slightly better than the rest of the rooms because people had to read in there.

"Well we wouldn't want to be late now would we?" She broke the long silence and began to walk away, her cane still tapping, and you followed closely behind.

You took a seat next to Ms. Venable's. You weren't close with anyone at the Outpost, except Mallory, who you only occasionally talked to. Ms. Venable tapped her cane, signifying that you could all begin eating. You ate your cube in a few small bites and then excused yourself. You carried the book that Ms. Venable suggested to you back to your room. Something about her was almost soft today in the library.

You slipped off your purple dress and removed the tight corset with a sigh of relief. With just a bra and underwear on you walked over to the mirror in your bathroom and looked into it. It was hard here. Everyone you loved was dead or dying and you had no way to know which option it was. You dropped your bra and underwear onto the floor and stepped into the shower. The warm water poured down your back and all you could think of was Ms. Venable. Her hands that had handed you the book earlier and brushed against yours. Her clothes that fit her figure so well. You tried to stop thinking of her but you just couldn't.