chapter sixteen

chapter sixteen - secret meetings
authors note : i was too lazy to proofread this so just ignore any mistakes

-

Once you were sure everyone was asleep, you put on the most casual outfit you could find and made your way to the library. When you got there, Wilhemina was sitting on a couch in a dark corner.

"Jesus, you scared the shit out of me."

She let out a short lived laugh, before returning to her normal, stern face.

"So," you were standing in front of her now. "What's up?"

"Sit."

You sat on the chair parallel to the couch. Her face looked slightly more sad than usual.

"What's wrong?"

She cleared her throat and adjusted her posture.

"Nothing, I just- Something happened with Langdon, during my interview."

"What do you mean?" She was worrying you.

"I won't bore you with all the details, but I was left in a rather, well, vulnerable state. He leaned in to kiss me and I didn't push him away." She bit her lip. "But we didn't kiss. Our lips never touched, and I have no feelings for him whatsoever. But it just felt like the sort of thing I should tell you."

You didn't know what to say.

"Y/n?"

You made eye contact with her silently.

"Are you angry? With me."

The truth is, you obviously were, but you also knew Langdon's game. He tried to manipulate you, using things that only you could know. But the difference is, you didn't let him. You were used to manipulation and you knew all the tactics. Wilhemina was a victim of his manipulation, and if they didn't kiss, it hurt you less.

"No."

"I would understand if you were."

"I mean, a little. But I get it. My interview wasn't easy either. I didn't kiss him, but I saw how easily he can manipulate people."

She reached out her hand and you took it.

"And you came to me, you told me. So no, I'm not angry with you."

A few tears that managed to escape her eyes coated her cheeks.

"Hey. What's wrong?"

"I'm just afraid that I'm not going to make it to the Sanctuary."

Seeing her in such a vulnerable state hurt you.

"Don't worry about that right now. We'll cross the bridge when we get to it."

Deep down though, you were scared too. What if she made it and you didn't? What if you made it and she didn't? What if neither of you made it? Your mind raced to the painful death Langdon had described earlier. You were scared.