Decisions

I woke up in the middle of the night.  I could tell something was bothering Maura.  She was sleeping but it wasn't restful sleep
I got up to use the restroom and noticed she had logged out of her work email  and locked her computer. The only time she locks her computer fully for me not to use the guest user is when something is confidential. After all I was still a detective until they told me I wasn't.  I had a nasty feeling that Maura knew the outcome of my case.  There was nothing I could do about it.  I just knew tomorrow that I make the day fun for Maura. Maura likes to see local work more than I which was odd because she was no longer that snob of a woman I met years ago. Her adoptive  mother, Constance, was still that way.  I drank a little water and went back to bed. I whispered, "Maura I will be okay,  I will not fall apart.  I just don't know if I will stay in Boston.  If I choose to leave Boston, I will miss you 'soooo' much along with my family and former co workers. It won't be easy but it will be done. "   Jane didn't realize I was awake when she came out of the restroom.  I heard her by laptop.  I heard what she said and my heart broke.  I didn't want out friendship to be strained nor us to live in different states or country. I knew I had to think of my future as well. With me being  a doctor,  I could work anywhere or open my own practice.  I will discuss this with Jane later on.

I woke up several hours to go to the gym to work out my anger. I picked Jane and I breakfast. I returned to our room. I could tell Jane had been crying. This conversation apparently was going to occur sooner than to both of our liking.  "Jane come and join me for some French toast with powder sugar and maple syrup that is made local here, with smoked bacon and coffee. " Jane sat down and we ate. I placed out empty dishes out in the hallway. "Jane I woke up when you got out of bed. I know you know.  I heard your whispers. I am not happy with the outcome of Internal Affairs.  I have made a decision that you will not talk me out of. I already spoke to the governor and gave him my verbal resignation.  I told him when I return to Boston that he will receive a written resignation and I will give him two weeks to find a replacement.  Let me finish before you say anything. Jane I am a doctor and I can get a job anywhere. I can even open my own practice.  You mean more to me than my job as chief medical examiner. I will move where ever you want to. Okay, now go ahead. "
"Maura you cannot do that. You love your job." "Jane true, but I love my friendship more and we will do this together.  Even if you don't want me near you, I am resigning anyway. What they are doing to you is wrong  and I won't stand for it. Sweetie,  I stand with you." Maura kissed the top of my head and held onto me and hugged me. Jane just cried in my arms. I finally was able to move her towards our bed and get her to lay down so she could rest along me on my lap. I played with her loose hair and she finally fell asleep. She slept for several hours. She spoke in her sleep which she rarely does."I gave you my all and this is how you treat me. Fuck you. You will not get the best of me,  PC. Go fuck yourself, you could of overrule it but apparent you don't have a back bone. Here is my badge and gun."
I just kissed the top of her forehead and text korsak to tell him, she knew the outcome and I didn't disclose it." I called Susie and told her that I already spoken to the governor and recommended you to take my place. So get your resume in order today and forward to him immediately. In addition, I have not told no one from the PD. I  will see you when I return this week." "Maura are you sure,  I  will miss working with you.  You taught me so much over the years and thank you for recommending me. I will have my resume forwarded to him in person by tomorrow.  I will call him today to make an appointment with him .love you." "Susie I will miss you too, your welcome and love you too."