12. Lady in the Woods

"What is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" Death thought about it

truly makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE."

― Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

12. Lady in the Woods

"Stand still!" whispered Legolas. "Do not move or speak!"

A musical laughter came from the tree, and then someone spoke in an unknown language. Legolas visibly relaxed and answered in the same tongue.

"Who are they?" murmured Merry.

"Elves, of course," replied Sam. "Can't you hear that?"

"Yes, they are elves," said Legolas. "And they say you breathe so loud they could have shot you in the dark."

Sam's eyes grew wide and he clasped his hands over his mouth.

Legolas assured him the elves were no threat; they were border guards who had observed the Fellowship since before they crossed the Nimrodel, and because they recognized the elf among them they had allowed them to continue.

They had apparently heard of Frodo's quest and wanted to speak with him. A rope ladder was let down and Legolas and Frodo disappeared up it, closely followed by Sam who refused to leave his friend's side. He climbed rather awkwardly with his hand still covering his mouth.

Soon melodious elf voices came drifting down; speaking too softly for Kat to catch anything.

"I do not like this," muttered Boromir. "What did they want with Frodo?"

"What do you mean?" asked Aragorn, keeping his voice low as well.

"If they know about the quest they probably know what he carries too. What if they try to take... it?"

"Of course not!" Aragorn scoffed. "They are elves."

"And Morgoth was a Vala. That is not–" He did not finish the sentence, for then Legolas returned down.

"They want to see Kat too," he said. Your mission intrigues them, he added mentally.

Kat gave the rope ladder an apprehensive glance. Can't we talk down here?

I will carry you.

But it's super high.

Ignoring her protests, he picked her up and swiftly climbed back.

You're like a monkey, she remarked to keep her mind off the growing abyss.

A what?

Never mind.

To Kat's surprise, there was a wooden platform constructed in the tree, which had been impossible to spot through the dense foliage from below. On it sat Frodo and Sam – who looked as terrified of the height as Kat felt – and three elves in cloaks the same color as the trunk.