*Bonus III* A Yuletide Reunion in the Shire

This final bonus chapter takes place one and a half years after the Fellowship parted ways, when Frodo invites them to a reunion. :)

A Yuletide Reunion in the Shire

In a jingle of bells, they arrived in Hobbiton shortly before Yule. Nellas and her husband's sleigh was the most fancy one; it was of black wood with gold lanterns and comfortable seats covered in rabbit fur, and drawn by a pair of headstrong chestnut stallions she had named Fred and George after a tale from her friend Kat's world. They had bought the sleigh in Rohan when the chilly winter rain they started out in changed to a heavy snowfall and made it impossible for their carriage to go further.

Beside them traveled Kat, Legolas and Gimli in a simple sleigh pulled by the horse Arod, then came Aragorn and Arwen's royal one (but still less fancy), and last in line followed the smallest one where only the noses of Lol-Nani-Ogg and Sméagol peeked out through thick furs and blankets. The sleighs were flanked by two war horses and their riders; the rangers Éowyn and Faramir.

The horses trotted along the main road through a sprinkle of fluffy snowflakes, breaths forming clouds in the frosty air.

"How lovely," Kat exclaimed. "It looks like a Christmas card."

"A what?" Boromir's voice formed a cloud as well.

He was very handsome in a fur clad hood, eyes bright and cheeks pink from the chill. Nellas resisted an urge to cover his face with kisses while telling him over and over again how much she loved him. She was learning the fine art of self-control and figured she had become rather good at it the past year.

"It is a kind of letter but with a picture. In my world we would send them to each other this time of year and they looked just like this." She indicated their surroundings with a gloved hand: the trees shrouded in white; a robin chirping in a branch; a group of hobbit children dressed in bright coats, scarves and hats laughing and playing in the deep snow.

"It is beautiful," said Arwen. "Such a lovely town."

The houses in Hobbiton were dome shaped with round doors and windows, and the largest, nicest one was situated on a hill. They tied the horses outside and opened the garden gate.

A hobbit had been clearing a path from the door to the road, now he looked up with a huge grin. "Oh!" He tossed the shovel aside and hurried down to greet them. "My goodness, you came. The whole Fellowship will be reunited at last!"

"Of course we came." Boromir squatted so he could hug him.

"When you wrote about your wedding we just had to meet your wife and congratulate you belatedly," Faramir added, squatting next to his brother.

"Well met, Samwise Gamgee," said Aragorn, bowing elegantly.

"Strider! Uh, I mean, King Elessar! We didn't dare hope you would be able to leave your responsibilities at court."