26. A Long Night

"The vermine is a small black-and-whiterelative of the lemming, found in the coldHublandish regions

relative of the lemming, found in the cold
Hublandish regions. Its skin is rare and
highly valued, especially by the vermine
itself; the selfish little bastard will do
anything rather than let go of it."

― Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

26. A Long Night

Catching rats, seriously? I'm a woman, not a cat. Kat peered suspiciously into the darkness of the cave entrance. How could they expect her to stay in a murky hole full of disgusting vermin, and miss all that was going on in the battle? And what if Gandalf returned, like he said he would? Kat had to be where Legolas was, so she could follow Gandalf again as soon as possible.

You will be safe here with the other women. And Gamling is right; if rats spoil the food, we cannot manage a lengthy siege. Look – Tommy has caught one already.

True enough; the black tomcat emerged from the darkness with a soggy rodent between his jaws, so large half of it dragged in the dirt between his paws. He dropped it at Legolas' feet with a triumphant meow. I brought you food, Blondy. Look how fat and tasty it is! I'm off to get more. See you soon. With another meow the cat proudly strutted back inside.

See? Be a good girl now and stay with Tommy. Legolas tried to put Kat down.

I want to be with you. She clung to his arms.

This is a war, and you have been assigned a task. With unnecessary force, Legolas lifted her by the scruff of her neck and firmly placed her on the ground. Gamling – and I – have more important things to worry about than catering to your preferences. Just do as you are told.

Kat stared at him, surprised over his outburst. Then she shook her head slowly. You can be a real jerk sometimes.

That makes two of us, then. He stomped off in a jingle of chainmail.

Kat looked at his retreating form, still angry, but also regretful. What if he was killed, and the last thing she had done was fighting with him? She would never forgive herself. Perhaps she should go after him and try to make up? But when he was in this mood, it would probably only make things worse. And if she tried to return to the parapet, Éomer or some other warrior would chase her off.

Turning back to the cave, Kat swallowed her annoyance and frustration, and went inside. What else could she do?

The entrance to the caves was naturally formed by the Deeping-stream, and had rough walls, which were damp and partly coated in an intricate pattern of lichen, fungi and algae. A narrow path sloped into the depth of the mountain. The massive oak gates blocking the passage were open and guarded by two Rohirrim men. They looked ancient; their faces were deeply creased and what little hair they still had was white and wispy.