*Bonus* A Midsummer Night's Dream

This is a bonus chapter that I originally wrote after this story was completed, because it was then Midsummer Eve in Sweden and I wanted to write about that. :) I have rearranged the chapters afterwards to get them in a more chronological order.

The following happened the day before Aragorn's wedding, so halfway into the last chapter. :)

A Midsummer Night's Dream

The little white tree was doing well, though a bit tired after meeting all the guests from Lothlórien and Imladris who had arrived in Minas Tirith that morning. Legolas stroked its slim trunk fondly, trying to comfort it. They will only stay until Elessar's wedding, I am sure. Then the peace will return.

But the baby tree didn't reply; the poor thing slept already.

Just as he was about to leave it and go look for Kat, Legolas noticed Frodo standing alone by the wall, gazing at the mountain range that was the Mordor border. Though the Dark Lord was defeated now, the jagged cliffs looked dark and uninviting.

Legolas joined him, making sure not to look at the Pelennor Fields below. That area still held too many dark memories, and he rarely ventured there. "Are you alright?"

Frodo smiled faintly, absentmindedly touching his neck where he used to carry the Ring. "All my friends are here together, well and whole, Sauron is dead, and Strider gets married tomorrow. I shouldn't complain."

"Indeed. We should not complain." Legolas figured he ought to be happiest of them all; he was courting the woman he loved and had received the Gift of Men. Yet...

"Yet..." said Frodo, as if he had heard Legolas' thoughts, "yet the memories haunt me."

Legolas tried to banish the faces of the men and orcs he had killed. "Aye."

Tearing his gaze from Mordor, Frodo peered at him. "I didn't think you would feel down too. It never got the better of you."

"Nay. I have no reason to feel down."

Frodo narrowed his eyes. "Yet you do?"

"Sometimes."

"Share with me," Frodo suggested. "Share your regrets and bad memories and I'll share mine. Then maybe – hopefully – we shall find they hurt less."

"Do you think that works?"

"I know it does. I wouldn't have managed this quest without Sam by my side, I think, and one of the reasons was that we could talk about everything."

Legolas nodded thoughtfully. He hadn't felt too bad during the first stages of the journey when he had Kat to speak to, but becoming separated from her had been difficult.

"I will try then," he began. "My first regret is... that I had to kill people. Humans... and orcs. Aye, I even regret killing orcs." He was almost surprised that he was able to admit it. After all, he was a warrior; killing orcs was what he had been in the Fellowship to do.