18. Horn of Gondor

"There have been times, lately, when I dearly wished that I could change the past

dearly wished that I could change the past.
Well, I can't, but I can change the present,
so that when it becomes the past
it will turn out to be a past worth having."

Terry Pratchett, I Shall Wear Midnight

18. Horn of Gondor

In the morning, Legolas helped Kat tell the others about her discovery.

"We saw him too," said Frodo. "Sam and I. We think it's Gollum. He's been riding a log, following us on the river."

"Gollum?" For some reason Legolas blushed.

"He has padded after us ever since Moria," said Aragorn unexpectedly. "I have tried catching him once or twice at night, but he is more sly than a fox, and as slippery as a fish. And you are sure it is him you must save, Kat?"

Positive. But if you knew who followed us into Lothlórien, why didn't you say so when we talked about it earlier?

"I was not sure until we came here, and I saw him more clearly."

Who is this Gollum anyway?

"He's the one my uncle Bilbo got the Ring from before he gave it to me," said Frodo. "His real name is Sméagol. Gandalf said he used to be a hobbit."

"His friend found the One Ring here in the Anduin river, and Sméagol fought him for it, killing him in the process," added Aragorn. "Before that, the Ring had been lost to the world for thousands of years."

That could be what I saw in the Mirror! Two hobbits fighting by the river. Galadriel said it shows things both from the past, the present and the future.

"It's beyond me why Námo would want you to save a murderer! And one who covets the Ring, at that!" Boromir exclaimed.

I think I know why. I never saw his face until now, or I would have known earlier; it was he who was that fisherman, and the one spying on the cult people. He climbed the window where the children were threatened, and I think he will save their lives.

"The king's children," Aragorn mused.

Aragorn's children or grandchildren, perhaps, Kat thought. They were really pretty, just how I figure his kids would look. Like little cherubs. But don't translate that, Legolas, or he will think I have a crush on him.

A crush?

That I fancy him. Like him.

Ah. He smirked knowingly. He knew very well who it was Kat liked. Darn elf!

Kat retaliated by asking why he had blushed before.

My people were supposed to guard Sméagol, but he tricked us and escaped. Saving him is going to be much harder now that he is loose. He sighed.