𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

"What the fuck!" I yelled out loud in the empty stable room while rubbing my already bruising hip.

I was brushing (H/n)'s mane and body when (she/he) all of a sudden full-on body checked me into the wooden siding of the stalls.

"You're lucky I'm in a good mood today," I mutter under my breath to the horse while I began to brush its mane again, only this time with a softer brush and at a slower pace. (H/n) make a weird snorting sound of what I could only guess to be a sneeze, but I just took this as her talking to me.

"Yes, my friends are coming today! You'll like them, especially Jean, he's part of your species, well partially at least." 

Today, everyone who chose to join the Survey Corps from the 104th Cadet Corps would be coming to HQ; I was very excited, to say the least, and good timing it was that they were coming now, especially with what went down a few days ago...

"Section Commander Hanji!" Moblit's yell for Hanji breaks me out of my sleep and makes me shoot up forward. My hand drops from where it was clutched around Eren's bicep and goes to rub my eyes awake. I turn my head to see Eren with a pale and disoriented face, trying to blink himself fully awake.

I laugh to myself. I guess Hanji really did talk his ear off all night long.

"What is it Moblit?" Hanji asks worriedly.

My attention goes back to Moblit who gulps nervously.

"It's- It's Sawney and Bean, they're dead!"

Hanji shoots up in her seat and races out of the room, but I don't think the reality of her titan babies' death hit her yet. She doesn't so much as cry or let out a sob as she races down to the stables to get her horse. Eren, Moblit, and I are on her heels, a few steps behind her, but in a flash, she's already far ahead of us and already tacking up her horse.

"Oi! Y/n, here's your shit, we're going too," Levi calls out while carrying both of our saddles. I nod as he hands off my saddle to me and I go to my horse's stall.

In just a few short minutes everyone in the squad is on their horse and trying to keep up with Hanji's fast pace. I keep up with her with no trouble, but some of the others are still a few meters behind.

"Hanji, are you okay?" I asked her tentatively while we rode towards where her experiments go on. She doesn't answer.

I look over to see her eyes wide with a mix of anger and sadness. I just shut up and continue to keep an eye on her as we started to pass civilization. Our horses' hooves clacked against the cobblestone streets as we started to gallop past the early-rising citizens. 

We round a corner and I curse under my breath. Even before we went through the gates I could see smoke spiraling from what I could only guess were Sawney and Bean.

Hanji immediately jumped off her horse and races towards the courtyard, leaving me with her horse. I nod in thanks while handing off both Hanji and I's horses' reins to a random soldier waiting to take the leather straps. 

Yup, they were dead.

Sawney and Bean's corpses were laid out on the ground in a pile of decaying skin and bones, and before them was Hanji wailing her head off. I feel Moblit's presence beside me but I don't make any move to acknowledge him; all my attention was on Hanji as she mourned the death of the titan pair.

After a few minutes, I walk over to Hanji's weeping state, ignoring all the judging looks thrown her way, and sling my arms around her. Her head falls onto my shoulder as she sags in my arms and starts to wail again.