The Royal Ball

Rhea's POV

Marvelous. That's the word that best explains how the palace looks in such events. There was nothing that was not splendid. All was radiant and mystical. I went up to my chambers to get ready for the most awaited evening. The maids took care of dressing me in my golden dress. They put my hair up in a magnificent manner, exposing my back. Gloves covered half of my arms, and of course, the final touch was my golden mask. The masquerade was going to be one to remember for centuries after everything I had planned for this evening.

"You will surely make a statement." My brother spoke from the entrance to my chambers. I smirked. "Don't I always?" He came close and kissed my gloved hand. "I enjoy seeing the Lombardi part come alive once more." I just took my hand away from his and composed myself. I fixed his tie accordingly while looking into his dark eyes. "Let them not forget us ever." I said. He just smirked. "You will cause mayhem tonight; the gods will not be happy."

"The gods are forsaken." He laughed out loud. "Where is our little sister? Does she know?"

"She has scattered back to France. I am sure she will make her entrance later on, and she knows nothing of tonight's events, so please keep your tongue quite tied."

"I must say I am surprised you confided this plan to me."

"What is family for after all?"

~•~•~•~•~

Every corner of the palace was illuminated, radiating a golden spectacle for all who came in. I walked towards Eden's chambers to get her. I had insisted on not seeing one another before the event. It just keeps the mystery alive, and I enjoy deeply so watching the reaction on her face each time we present ourselves in glory to one another. For the past three days, I had kept my emotions buried at the pit of my soul if I still even possessed one. It was nothing but foolish of me to believe that she was doing this for us. After all, we married under an agreement, and that was all it was; plain and simple. It was not the thought of her with another woman that killed me slowly, but the thought of her happiness with someone other than me far away from these walls.

I peaked silently into her bedroom, finding that she was not in sight. Silently, I made my way inside. The room was incredibly silent, making me wonder if she had even been here at all. Not long after, her scent engulfed me in a tight embrace. "I can smell your scent." She came from behind me and kissed my neck, allowing a sigh to escape my lips. "Curse you and your inhuman senses." I smiled before turning around to face her. She knocked the air out of my lungs. The red cherry dress hugged her figure majestically. I have never seen a more prestigious creature roam this earth. She was undoubtedly breathtaking.

"I am tempted to ignore my own party and stay here and make a mess of you." She turned a light hue of red, which caused a smile of my own. "Let that be our after party." I smirked. "Well, someone has become quite promiscuous."

"If I am to be married to you, it was bound to happen."

"Well, there is nothing as romantic as to be corrupted by what brings you life."

"Corruption has a new meaning now." I kissed her forehead tenderly and grabbed her soft, delicate hand in my own. "Let's see what tonight brings." I, in fact, had a big announcement that was going to change the course of the council forever.

The halls of the palace were busy with maids and workers, assuring that everything was going according to my agenda. Everyone important was here tonight as it is customary of each year. This one will be just a tad different.

"Are you nervous, my love?" I asked as I could hear Eden's heartbeat going haywire. She chuckled nervously as her hazel eyes fixed mine for a short second. "I never know what to expect of your lifestyle."