Chapter Twelve

The two had stayed in bed for a while. Lifting each of their heavy weights off their chest they had pent up since this was the first time in a long time that they had sat down and talked.

Bucky let her in on everything going on with business, and Y/N listened. When he would pause and she would give her word in advice for something he was struggling with, he would just stop and stare. His worst nightmare was over. Y/N was back to being his gal. A friend, a roommate, a companion. Something more, maybe?

I mean this was the perfect scenario for him to make a move, right? She wasn't seeing anyone, her schedule was opening up, and-

No. Now wasn't the time. She was clearly going through something that needed to be mended first. He would never confuse or make things harder for her by giving her yet ANOTHER thing to stress about.

No. He was going to build her back up before that. But now? Now, he was a lot more ready to talk to her about his feelings. He needed to figure out how to express them first without scaring her away.

Yes. This was good for them both. Bucky could help Y/N get out of the ditch she had found herself in, and he could figure out the perfect way to finally let her know how he felt.

Yes. This was the new plan.
_____

Bucky woke up pinned down by Y/N's body weight. The two had fallen asleep talking the other's ear off. Something that wasn't uncommon.

Bucky slipped out, brushing some of her hair away from her face, and grinned at the lopsided and tired smile that appeared on her face from the touch.

Walking backward toward the kitchen, his goal was to not wake her as he shut the door behind him. Goal accomplished, he practically skipped to the kitchen to make a whole breakfast brunch.

Eggs made, french toast toasting, bacon sizzling, and fruit washed and cut. He had already made the coffee needing some for himself before starting on the feast. Y/N's cream and sugar was already in her favorite mug waiting for the coffee.

He took the bacon and placed it to the side with the eggs, but waited to add the next batch of french toast to the pan seeing she wasn't up just yet. He wanted everything hot and fresh for her. She deserved no less.

He took a second to go into the living room seeing it a little scattered from him going in and out, and Y/N not being there that week. He had cleaned it up after Steve came over, and hadn't been home much the following week to make it too dirty, but why not spruce it up some? 

Pillows were straightened, blankets folded, coffee table cleared beside her books, and sketch pad that always stayed out.

As he was bringing his blazer and shoes from the front door to his room, he noticed the extra bedroom door shut. They tended to keep all the guest-related doors open so they were easier to point out. Steve must have shut it the last time he spent the night.

So Bucky threw his things on his bed and walked across the hall to open it up. Upon opening it, the light coming into the room practically blinded him. Moving a hand up to shield his eyes from the rays, he walked in to close up the curtains some.

A little backstory. Steve used to live with Bucky for a bit, and when Bucky took Y/N in, the three were roommates for about 4 months. Steve had already planned on moving out before Y/N got there so that he could be closer to work and have his own space. So Y/N had gotten the spare room at the time, which was her room now.

This one was Steve's. It even had his old bed and curtains he had left, which drowned out little to no light. They were practically sheer white clothes dangling.