6. Buried

•

  ELEANOR GOT TO PEGGY'S apartment as fast as she could, the was vocal about no visitors after dark. "Ms. Harper, by now you should know our rules!"

Eleanor placed a shaky finger up, shutting up Miriam. "I...do not have time for this," She spoke slowly, keeping herself as calm as possible. "Peggy needs me." She pushed past the older woman and ran up the stairs, now wearing a comfortable pair of solid shoes instead of heels. Once she reached Peggy's floor, she hurriedly ran to her door and began knocking feverishly, but to her surprise, the door was open.

Instinctively, she grabbed the gun that was hidden underneath her cardigan. Slowly and silently, she moved into Peggy's room, but as soon as she heard the soft sniffles of Peggy Carter, she dropped the agent act.

The scene in front of her was one out of a horror film — Peggy dry heaving and crying over the dead body of her roommate, whose head was dawned with a single bullet hole. "Oh...oh no," Eleanor rushed to Peggy's side and immediately the woman latched onto her like a baby desperate for its mother.

It must have been ten minutes before Eleanor decided to speak. She wanted to give Peggy as much time as she needed to be comforted, but she also knew they weren't safe and couldn't stay for long. "Pegs, can you tell me what happened?"

Peggy didn't let go of Eleanor as she began to speak. "She was sick...stayed home and then-then a man got in and he," She took a deep breath. "Well, you see what he did." Her voice was quiet and hoarse from crying.

Eleanor frowned. "Come stay at my place for the night, Pegs. Or for however long you need."

"Eleanor, no," Peggy pulled away and wiped her eyes. "I can't put your family in danger. Penelope is pregnant and I don't want to risk anything right now."

"Oh, Pegs," Eleanor sighed, shaking her head softly. She took one of Peggy's hands and clasped it between hers, forcing the Brit to look at her. "I know you're trying to be considerate but stop being so stupid. You need to be in company right now, not wallowing in guilt. Just stay for the night and we can figure out everything in the morning."

Peggy paused, staring into Eleanor's eyes as she thought. She knew how stubborn her friend was and she wasn't getting out of her offer. "Fine," She huffed after a moment. "But just for tonight."

"Great," Eleanor smiled. "Penelope's been dying to see you, anyway."

  Of course, when they arrived at the Harper residence, Penelope had gone to bed alongside John, leaving the house dark and quiet. The two agents did a quick scan of the home in case someone did happen to find out where Eleanor lived. Luckily, everything was fine. "I'll go get the guest bedroom ready. Why don't you grab something to eat, I'm sure you're hungry." Eleanor told Peggy softly, directing her towards the kitchen.

"Alright," Peggy's voice was so meek and quiet she almost seemed like a different person. The woman Eleanor knew was loud and outspoken, but what had happened tonight had shaken her.