13. Ultron

•

  IF THERE WAS ANY way to describe what waking up from a fifty-year-long nap was like, Eleanor would have to say it was like being hungover with a concussion. She had never been in cryosleep for so long -- her eyesight was blurry and she had the sudden urge to vomit. She stumbled forward, expecting her face to meet cold concrete, but instead two cold and metallic hands caught her. At first, she thought it was Bucky, but then, he spoke. "Careful. You've had a very long sleep, Eleanor."

Blinking rapidly, she raised her head as he steadied her feet back onto the solid ground. She could just make out his outline —incredibly, almost inhumanly tall — but what stood out the most was his shining red eyes. Even with her temporary loss of vision, she could see them crystal clear. "What...are you?" Her first few words in fifty years were hoarse and ruff.

"I think the question you're looking for is, who am I?" His grip on her wrists momentarily tightened. It was as if he was offended by her question. "And I'd be happy to answer that for you. I...am Ultron."

"...Ultron?" Eleanor tilted her head and squinted, hoping to get a better look at him.

"You're eyesight will return in a few minutes, don't strain yourself. Here, sit," Ultron lead her over to an open chair and helped her down. "Do you know where you are?" He sat across from her, watching curiously.

Eleanor shook her head, trying to recall the last thing she remembered. "I broke my programming. They put me on ice, said I would be until I was fixed," She paused, blinking. Her vision was finally returning. She could see the lab equipment. "But you didn't do that, did you?"

Ultron tilted his head. "What makes you think that?" She didn't like the robotic twang his otherwise human voice had.

"I can talk. I have my free will back," She pressed her hand to her forehead as a headache arose. "When my mind was wiped, I couldn't talk to anyone they didn't want me to," Her mind flashed to Bucky and her heart painfully clenched. "Or even look at anyone they didn't want me to. So, why is a robot man releasing me from an empty Hydra lab?"

Ultron sighed. "They left you here. Wolfgang Von Strucker was their last resort to bring back Gannet, but he failed, and a few days ago, when the Avengers attacked, they left you here to rot."

"The Avengers?" Eleanor didn't care that they had left her to die, that's what Hydra did best, but the name Ultron said, intrigued her.

"Ah, yes," Ultron breathed out and stood from his chair. "A new group of enhanced individuals — superheroes, if you will. Call themselves the Avengers," He rolled his eyes. The topic clearly irritated him.

A sudden memory hit Eleanor. Red mist, brown hair, kind eyes, and a Sokovian accent. "There was a girl here. She looked after me, could see into my head. Is she an...Avenger?"

This piqued Ultron's interests. "Oh, you're referring to Wanda Maximoff. No, she's not an Avenger. But she is enhanced and luckily for you, I was just about to meet with her and her brother. Care to join?"