22. Lagos

•

  ELEANOR WAS THANKFUL FOR her day off. She was meant to go on the mission to Lagos with Steve, Sam, and Wanda, but Natasha, bless her soul, volunteered to go instead to give the new Avenger some much needed downtime. She couldn't remember the last time she had slept in — she still had nightmares, but, at least she slept in. The kitchen was quiet and calm in the mornings, and only Vision hovered around the counters, prepping food. "Do you even know how to cook?" Eleanor chuckled as she sat on the barstool in front of him.

Vision smiled meekly. "I've read up on it," He poked and prodded at the eggs cooking in the skillet — they were burning.

Eleanor sighed and sat up, walking around the counter. She nudged him aside. "Let me show you," She dumped the burning eggs into the trash can under the sink and took an egg from the carton. She cracked it over the skillet easily with one hand, not one piece of shell falling in. Vision watched her in amazement. "If you're going to impress Wanda, you should know how to cook properly." She looked over her shoulder and smirked.

Vision's eyes were wide and she swear she caught him blushing, even though she was sure he was incapable of doing so. "I-I haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about!" He sputtered.

Eleanor barked with laughter. "You're a terrible liar, Vision," Focusing back on the eggs, she scrambled them with the spatula and sprinkled some salt and pepper on top. She had to admit, she enjoyed Vision's company. He was like her, in a way — new to the modern world, figuring out things as they went along. But the one thing she couldn't admit to herself was it was mostly because he sounded exactly like Jarvis. His voice alone calmed her down from her panic attacks when Steve wasn't there to do so.

"It is not in programming to lie efficiently," Vision stated matter-of-factly, crossing his arms over his chest. Eleanor noticed that he was wearing a turtle neck — it made her smile.

"The eggs are done," She said, pouring the scrambled eggs onto at plate. "Could you grab the ketchup?"

Vision titled his head. "Ketchup..? On eggs?" Eleanor nodded with a chuckle. He nodded slowly, apprehensively, but grabbed the ketchup bottle from the fridge anyway. Eleanor thanked him and squeeze out a small blob onto the plate next to the eggs. "How peculiar..." Vision watched as she dipped her eggs in the red sauce. "Why do you...do that?"

"What? This?" She pointed to her plate, mouth full of food. Vision nodded. "Not too sure. It was just something I always ate as a child. I guess even through fifty years of sleep the habit stuck."

"Fascinating," He hummed. "May I try cooking now? Your example was...enlightening."

Eleanor chuckled softly and moved aside. "Be my guest. I'll be on the couch."