4. So It Begins

•

  ELEANOR GROANED FOR what had to have been the millionth time that day. Working with Thomson was almost not worth clearing Howard's name in her opinion. "Harper, I need you to file these." He tossed his fifth file of the day on her desk.

She glared as he walked briskly passed her, running around the office like a mad man, trying to get a lead on Stark. "On it, boss," She sneered, lifting from her seat. She examined the file as she walked to Thompson's desk, across the room. In bold red ink it spelt out, 'CLASSIFIED,' Eleanor's clue that she wasn't allowed to read it — not like that stopped her.

Slowing her pace, she peeked open the file. She frowned, hoping to find out how far along they were in Howard's investigation, but instead it was just about some Russian gang, nothing of importance. Using the key Thompson had given her, she unlocked his filing cabinet and slipped the file in where it fit alphabetically.

Disappointed, she headed back to her desk, only to be stopped by Thomson, who had a large smile on his face. "Thompson, are you...are you smiling?" Eleanor quipped, slightly shocked.

The smile only dropped for a moment before returning as he spoke. "I got a big break, and I need your help."

Eleanor paused. "You want my help? Why?" Surely he wasn't so stupid to let Eleanor help him with the Stark investigation, but then again, he had no clue about her and Peggy's mission to clear Howard's name.

Thompson chuckled. "I got a lead on a possible seller for some of Stark's missing inventions, Spider Raymond, and I want you to check it out, with me of course." He patted her back. "Be ready, partner, we have a dance tonight."

Leaving Eleanor standing dumbfounded in the middle of the floor, Thompson scurried off to Chief Dooley's office. Peggy quietly approached her. "You alright, Eleanor?"

Snapping out of her daze, Eleanor grimaced. "I have a dance with Thompson."

"What?" Peggy gasped, pulling her quietly to the side. 

Eleanor nodded grimly. "He's having me go with him to some dance, some lead on some of Howard's weapon."

Peggy raised a brow. "That's a good thing, isn't it?"

"I guess," Eleanor sighed. "I can see if it leads us to the thief, plus, it makes it easier for us to steal back whatever was taken."

"Stealing?" Both women paused at the sound of Daniel Sousa's voice. They turned to see him with a curious smile on his face, sitting at his desk. He leaned closer to them.