1. The SSR

•

  PENELOPE SIGHED AS Eleanor once again rearranged her pillows. "Ellie, I've been comfortable for fifteen minutes now!" She laughed.

Eleanor sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. "I just worry about you, Penny."

"I'm pregnant, not sick," She laughed again. "And you'll be late for work. John will be home soon, you don't have to worry about me."

Softly stroking her sister's blonde hair, Eleanor smiled sadly. "I know, I know. I'll see you later." Picking up her coat and bag, she headed towards the door, her worry for her sister keeping her actions slow. Hesitating at the door, she smiled once again.

Penelope rolled her eyes with a laugh. "Go! You'll be late, silly!"

Finally giving in, Eleanor left their small home and headed to her car. As she opened its door, Penelope's husband, John, drove up beside her. Despite his tired nature, he smiled wide at the sight of her. "Morning, El! Late start?"

Judging by the fact that he was already home, John knew that Eleanor had been fussing over his wife again. Eleanor laughed, "Is it that obvious?" She smiled at him as she sat in her car, rolling the window down. "I'll see you for dinner! I'll pick it up on the way back!"

"S'good with me! See you later!" John waved
her goodbye as she pulled out of the driveway.

Crossing the bridge from Queens to Manhattan was regular, but the parking spots along the roads would obviously be taken up by now. Groaning, Eleanor picked her spot and rushed across the street. The SSR looked like any old plain building in the city, staged as a telephone company. Rose was there as always, smiling at Eleanor as she approached. "Morning El!"

"Morning Rose," She smiled back. "Anything interesting?" She gestured to the phone lines.

Rose chuckled. "Same old same old, you know how it is," Pressing a button, the elevator next to them opened. "You're late, don't think Dooley won't notice." She shook her head with a smirk.

Eleanor sighed. "That man has the memory of an elephant, I know he will," She turned to the elevator. "I'll see you at the end of the day." Stepping into the elevator, Eleanor tapped her foot impatiently or nervously, she couldn't tell. She was never one for being late, so she hopes Chief Dooley would go easy on her, though she seriously doubted it.

The doors opened and keeping her head high, Eleanor walked into the bustling government office, men passing by in every direction. "Eleanor!" The hushed voice of Peggy Carter caught her attention. Peggy held her hand up, motioning for Eleanor to hurry — she did.