11. When Life Was Simple

•

IN HER CRYOSLEEP, SHE would dream of her life before becoming Gannet, before the SSR, when life was simple.

As Captain America's on-site nurse, there was never a dull moment for Eleanor Harper. They had set up camp for the night after another successful mission — Hydra was one step closer to collapse. She had her own tent and she cherished its privacy. Eleanor sat on her cot, flipping through the pages of a French poetry book. Steve had been teaching her how to speak the language during their long journeys. "J'aime la fa....um, la fa,"

"La façon," Steve's voice startled her, but it wasn't surprising. He usually lurked by her tent most nights. "Close. You're getting good," He smiled softly and stepped in.

"What's the little squiggle under the c?" Eleanor questioned, turning the book around to show Steve.

"It's a cédille. It changes the hard c to a soft c," He explained as he sat on the small stool across from her cot.

"Not just a pretty face, huh?" Eleanor chuckled and tucked the book away. "I like learning French. I never had time for things like that in medical school."

"What did you do? Because I know you didn't have friends," Steve laughed and recoiled as Eleanor smacked his chest.

She laughed along with him. It was true — she was one out of four women in her graduating class and they chose not to associate with her. "Who needs friends anyway?" She shrugged and leaned back on her cot. "Got any new drawings for me?" She titled her head at the small notebook Steve was tightly holding.

"Always," He smiled and stretched out his arm, handing her the notebook. She opened with a smile and flipped to the newest page. It was a lovely drawing of their armoured truck with Eleanor and Bucky talking. "I see you've taken a liking to Mr. Barnes?" Steve smirked.

Eleanor rolled her eyes. "He's very persistent," She couldn't take her eyes off the image. It was incredibly detailed, from the truck's bulky form to even her crows' feet. "Did you have to make me look so old?"

A new voice spoke up. "I think you look like a goddess!" Bucky popped his head in through the tent folds, a goofy grin on his face. "The guys are passing around drinks and I wanted to see if you two wanted any." He ignored the clenching of his heart seeing Eleanor and Steve alone so close together.

"Great. Now I'll have to look after a bunch of hungover babies," Eleanor grumbled and shook her head. "Grab me a cup, please." She smirked at Bucky.

His heart leapt. "Yes, ma'am," He turned to his best friend. "Anything for Captain America?"

Steve shook his head and chuckled. "I'm good, Buck. Please, join us when you return with the lady's drink," Bucky saluted and left. "He's so in love it's disgusting." Steve laughed.