A New Teacher

Students push and shove as we ascend the stone steps to the castle, eventually filing into the Great Hall to our respective tables.

The first two things I, and apparently the trio at the Gryffindor table, notice were two of the teachers. Firstly, Professor Grubby-Plank sitting down in Hagrid's seat - Hermione had indicated Hagrid was away on Order business, but I know she can't tell me what it is, even if she knows.

Secondly, a squat little woman with short mouse-brown curls on which she has placed an offendingly bright headband to match her entire fluffy pink outfit. On instinct, she could look quite friendly, like an old relative who always bakes you cookies. But as she turns her face, her haughty expression and the hateful sweeps of her eyes over us make it very clear she's not.

The events of the evening get somehow more unsettling when the Sorting Hat's song of the year is a pretty grim warning about how we have to unite if we hope to prevail.

As the long line of first years thins out as they're sorted, Hermione and I have entire conversations through pointed glances and raised eyebrows. To their credit, Fred and George don't boo this year when kids get sorted into Slytherin, but Harry's disgusted look at the green and silver table while having a conversation with Nearly Headless Nick proves to me nothing's going to change for a while.

I sigh, continuing with my food.

The feast eventually comes to its end as Dumbledore goes through his speech. Forbidden Forest is off limits, magic (and an extensive list of joke items) isn't permitted in the corridors, two new staff changes, and just as he's about to move on to Quidditch, he's cut off.

Professor Umbridge, as we now all know her as, stands up with a semi-polite yet condescending 'hem-hem'. Shock ripples through the hall, teachers included, as this woman gets up to make a speech. No new teacher has ever interrupted Dumbledore; nevertheless, he sits down and lets her talk.

"Thank you, Headmaster," her pitchy voice causes almost the whole school to wince, "For those kind words of welcome. I must say it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, and to see such happy little faces looking up at me."

It doesn't take a genius to survey the hall and find there's no such thing as a happy face in this audience - everyone is rather taken aback at being addressed like five year olds.

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all and I'm sure we'll be very good friends."

I resist the urge to laugh and cover it up with a cough. From here, I can see the twins mouthing 'that's likely', lots of people lapsing into silent giggles. Suddenly, her voice looses the breathiness and transforms into a dull, learnt by heart speech.

"The Ministry has always considered education to be of vital importance. Your rare gifts could come to nothing if not nurtured and honed with careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to our community must be passed through generations like a treasure trove - guarded, replenished and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching."

She stops here to make a small bow to the other staff, which is ignored. In fact, Professors Sprout and McGonagall outright glare at her.

As the toad-like lady continues with her speech, the patience of us all begins to ebb away. The usual rapt silence as Dumbledore speaks is gone.

I begin to chat with Allison, Luna brings out The Quibbler, the twins are enchanting their food to fly around Neville's head, Ernie is pretending to listen but seems to be falling asleep, Draco and his friends are talking with their heads bent, Lavender and Pavarti are giggling about something, and even the Ravenclaw Prefects are quickly loosing interest.