Professor Umbridge

Harry rants to us all through breakfast about Seamus not believing him, about an argument. Ron occasionally pipes up to contribute someone, while Hermione and I listen, holding hands under the table.

"Lavender thinks so too." Hermione says gloomily.

"So does Valerie."

"Been having a nice little chat with them about whether or not I'm a lying, attention-seeking prat, have you?"

I glare at him, but Hermione stays calm.

"No, I told her to keep her big mouth shut actually."

"You, Brinley? Telling Valerie how I'm a liar?"

"I don't know if you remember Harry, but I got held at wand point and Crucio'd saving you last year, so it would be nice if you stopped jumping down our throats, we're on your side." I shrug, continuing my food. Offend me all you want, but don't talk to Hermione like that.

"Sorry." He says after a moment.

Ron and Harry break off into their own conversation, as do we.

"I know they're your friends, but I'm going to have to give them detention if they keep this up. Sorry." She adds as an after note to her frustrated conclusion to the poster the twins had stuck in the common room.

"Don't apologize, they know exactly what they're doing," I smile, "They'll learn to play by the rules if they want to do it seriously."

"I don't want to be on the receiving end of their pranks though." She groans.

"It's ok, they'll go after Ron, not you."

Ron chokes on his drink with wide eyes.

"She's right, Hermione, she's right, don't get me involved."

Angelina Johnson comes up and after a wary look at me, announces she's Gryffindor's new Quidditch Captain, and their tryouts are on Friday at five.

"When are your tryouts?" She says to me, trying to be nice but clearly straining - I am a rival captain I suppose.

"Next Monday."

"Right... well good luck, not many captains last long when they're younger than sixth year."

"Wasn't Oliver in his fourth?"

"Hm, see you on the pitch I guess." She departs quickly.

After a while, I have to return to the Hufflepuff table for timetables to be handed out, but I go back to the others once I've got it.

The twins sit down with us, after proposing a faulty Nosebleed Nougat for cheap, as the old antidote no longer works on the newer version, and it'll keep you bleeding until you shrivel up.

"Speaking of your Skiving Snackboxes, you can't advertise for testers on the Gryffindor noticeboard." Hermione eyes them.

"Says who?" George looks so astonished I almost laugh.

"Says me. And Ron."

"Leave me out of it." He rushes. The twins snigger.

"You'll be singing a different tune soon enough, Hermione," Fred says as he butters a crumpet, "You're starting your fifth year, you'll be begging us for a Snackbox before long."

"And why is that?"

"Fifth year's O.W.L year." George explains, but Hermione is still confused.

Fred finishes it off with satisfaction, scaring us as he goes on and on about the work.